Sunday, 17 July 2011

semolina berry cake and weekend purchases

This has got to be one of my favourite summer cakes. I found the recipe in a newspaper supplement, although I can't remember which one as it was a few years ago. The colours of the berries look stunning and it has such a fresh, juicy flavour. A perfect summer dessert, polished off with a nice cup of tea and extra berries.



Semolina berry cake

175g self-raising flour
100g semolina
175g caster sugar
175g butter, melted
juice and rind of 1/2 a lemon
2 large eggs
200g(ish) of berries (e.g. raspberries, blueberries, blackberries. As long as it's not strawberries)

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, semolina, sugar). Melt the butter then pour into the dry mixture. Add eggs one at a time, then juice and rind of 1/2 a lemon. Mix together and spoon into a 24cm greased springform tin. Scatter berries over the top and gently press them in a little. Bake in the middle of the oven for approx. 45 mins or until golden on top and firm to touch. (Have a piece while it's still warm, it tastes amazing!)


And onto the weekend purchases.... I was in town on Saturday and couldn't resist buying these shoes. Not only was I seduced by the cute bow and colour, but they were also £10 in the sale. Hurray! It's also great to buy pretty shoes for a change rather than plain work shoes which support my feet (as I'm on them all day).


I have been lusting after this tin for quite a while online, so when I saw it in town I just had to have it. Here it is casually sitting on my Cath Kidston bedding :)


I love the colour, the font, the handle on the lid, even the feel of the tin (hmm, starting to sound creepy. I don't go round shops rubbing tins, honest!)

A girl can never have too many pretty shoes or cake tins can she?

1 comment:

  1. I think Mr CC would say that a girl can have too many cake tins...and sadly, I am that girl! Personally, I KNOW that you can never have too many. Love the handle on the lid and the font!

    ReplyDelete