Sunday, 11 November 2012

Syrupy ginger bundt

Although it's fun to flick through the glossy pages of new cookbooks, sometimes it's good to return to an old family favourite. My aunty recently gave me my Granny's handwritten gingerbread recipe. She used to make it in a large roasting tin but I thought I'd try it in my 10 inch cake ring/bundt tin.


Winter light got the better of me with these photographs. Just as I took my camera out a big rain shower came past and made the room dark. I took a few photographs and got on with eating the cake. Cake is to be eaten and enjoyed after all.


This cake is so sticky and syrupy. It's gorgeous. Not surprising since it contains 3/4lb golden syrup! Shhh, don't tell your dentist. You can always pretend the warm spices make it healthy.


I think this cake would taste incredible with custard, although a cup of tea is just as comforting and involves less effort. After the faffy tarte tatin I was all about laziness this week!

Sticky syrupy gingerbread
Recipe from my Granny. I converted her measurements to metric to be helpful.

450g (1 lb) flour
1 level tbsp ground ginger (or adapt to suit. I used 2tsp ginger and 1tsp cinnamon and I'm a cinnamon freak)
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 level tsp bakind powder
1 level tsp salt
225g (8oz) brown sugar ( I used light brown muscovado)
175g (6oz) margarine (I used Stork)
350g (3/4lb) golden syrup
300ml (10 fl oz or 1/2pt) milk
1 large egg

Preheat the oven to 160C/Fan 140C/Gas 3. Sieve all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Warm the sugar, margarine and syrup together, not letting it get too hot. Warm the milk separately. Add all the liquids to the dry ingredients along with a beaten egg and mix thoroughly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 1hr 15-30 minutes, or until firm to touch. Leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack. (I took it out when it was still slightly warm and a layer stuck to the base of the tin. I didn't mind though, I just scraped it off and ate it!)

14 comments:

  1. Yum. That is just about my dream cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a little piece of ginger and pumpkin cake in my graze box this week and it set me on a mission to find a similar recipe. What a coincidence you should share your granny's recipe. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the smell of gingerbread! I love your plates too....I'm feeling the need to pull all my bits of utility china together and take lots of photos, I've not got much,, but I am still feeling the need!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! I'd love to sneak a peek at your china collection.

      Delete
  4. I know just what you mean about old family favourites, I've been looking through my Granny's old cookbook this weekend too. This cake looks so comforting - it also makes me really want a bundt tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine was just a relatively cheap one from Tesco although I've already told my mum (numerous times) that I want a fancy Nordic ware tin for Christmas!

      Delete
  5. Looks like my kind of cake. Bookmarked this for some baking action soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh this looks gorgeous. I love sticky gingerbread. Your photos look really good...I've had to start baking everything at the weekend just to get decent light. Baking in a bundt tin is so much fun, I love how it makes the cake look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had to do a bit of tweaking as they all came out strangely blue but I'm happy with the three I uploaded here.

      Delete
  7. Mmmm, this looks positively scrumptious!! I recently discovered sticky toffee pudding cake, and it is my new favorite. Sticky gingerbread is next on the list!!
    ~April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticky toffee pudding is amazing! I find it very hard to go past on dessert menus.

      Delete
  8. Now that looks a gorgeous cake. Love gingerbread and this looks perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm I love gingery cakes, they are so comforting and warming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm syrup. Mmmm ginger. This looks similar to one of the recipes I tried out of my Grandma's cookbook but on a bigger scale. Definitely looks good in bundt form, and the thought of having a piece with custard is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete