Sunday, 9 February 2014

help please!

Some constructive criticism or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm at the stage where I might start spelling my bundt tin with a "c".


I've produced yet another half-turned-out cake which is becoming increasingly frustrating. I followed the recipe to the letter, and this is described as a good cake for not sticking, but it still stuck. I greased the tin with Wilton cake release oil (along with a coating of flour) which is the same combination I used for my successful lemon, almond and poppyseed bundt. I bought more of this oil as I hadn't used it for my last two (failed) bundts and I assumed that's where I was going wrong.

So......

Should I have left it to cool longer in the tin before turning out?

Should I only grease the tin with the cake release oil? (No coating of flour)

Is cake release spray better than cake release oil? I tried to find some in Lakeland last week but only came across the oil.

Or should I throw the bundt tin out the kitchen window? I'm mighty close to having a Ballistic Bob moment (a nice bit of Scottish TV for you!)


On the upside, despite the ugly appearance this is a very tasty cake: great banana flavour and packed with oozy chunks of milk chocolate. If I could get it to turn out the tin properly I would definitely bake it again.

14 comments:

  1. Oh how frustrating for you Jo. Afraid I can't give any advice on tins. I use silicone so I don't get the sticking problems. I recently got a silicone bundt and I've had no problems turning out the two I've made so far. Maybe you could try one of these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I own any silicone tins(!) so I'm definitely interested in trying that out. Thanks Choclette!

      Delete
  2. I wonder if there's an issue with the oven temperature - perhaps the cake isn't baking evenly and a 'fault line' develops during baking that makes it break on turning out?

    I always use the Dr Oetker cake release spray (no flour) in my bundts and haven't ever had a problem - maybe just try the spray?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is entirely possible CC. The cooker is pretty old and rubbish. For example, the temperature knob is so slack I almost have to guess the temperature!

      Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely hunt down some cake release spray next.

      Delete
  3. Well I commend you for your efforts, I haven't even attempted a Bundt cake yet as I am worried about this happening. Definitely has something to do with the spray I reckon as the only other thing I can think of is too high a temp in the oven which is maybe heating the sugar too quickly. Try looking up if Mary Berry has any tips. That is what I try to do when a cake is driving me insane x
    Good luck xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I hadn't even considered the oven temperature until you and CC mentioned it. It makes sense though. I am determined to get this cake right!

      Delete
  4. How frustrating Jo! I use the spray, a Dr Oetker one from any major large supermarket (I know for certain Teaco sell it) without a flour coating. My Mum used the Wilton's one and wasn't that impressed with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decision made, Dr. Oetker cake spray it is. I will not let this tin get the better of me! Thanks Kate :)

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, you have my sympathy, having recently had a similar experience with my new Bundt tin!
    I have the exact same tin as yours and it has always turned out fine for me. I always use cake release spray and flour and turn out before the cake is cold. I bought Dr Oeteker spray in Sainsbury's but recently bought a different one to try after my latest disaster, which was due to extra adhesive ingredients !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Booo. I have really fancied one of these tins recently, but I'm not so sure now. I have no idea what to suggest, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I use a similar tin, I grease the tin with veg oil and then put blobs of butter in any fiddly corners. It looks odd but it works. I make Nigella's Vanilla Cake in the Christmas book, and that turns out great every time x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes happens with some tins but I find always is better grease with butter and the best bundt cake I have Jo are Silicona molds, At the begin I dont like but for bundt cake are perfect! (anyway I butter too)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, how frustrating! I see you've already had lots of helpful replies but I'll throw mine in too - I always use Dr Oetker baking spray plus a dusting of flour. The recipes I followed said to leave it to cool completely in the tin before turning out, I'm not sure if that would make a difference. Also have you got an oven thermometer? I got one for the new house and my cakes have been baking soo much better already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just butter and flour my tin.....cook tillaskewer is clear ...leave to cool for a while.....go around tin with a knife releasing as much as i can with a knife..turn it over and bang it with a wooden spoon till i feel it comes out..never bought and of them fancy sprays and my cakes have never stuck x x not much help i know x x

    ReplyDelete