It's Wimbledon season which can mean only one thing... it's time for strawberries and cream! Clichéd food blogger sitting right here.
There's little I love more in the summer than watching Roger Federer run about on a tennis court whilst I eat strawberries and cream from the comfort of my sofa. The only problem is when he does a shirt change as I run the risk of spilling food down my front due to the excitement. Anyway, I digress.
If I can stop myself from eating all the strawberries and cream as they are, I like to put them in scones. Add a dusting of icing sugar on top and the scones transform into something rather luxurious.
There's not much else I can really say about strawberry and cream scones, it's just a really good thing which everybody should make in the summer. I have a tendency to spread a lot of strawberry jam on my scone. What can I say, I like a bit of scone with my jam.
There's not much else I can really say about strawberry and cream scones, it's just a really good thing which everybody should make in the summer. I have a tendency to spread a lot of strawberry jam on my scone. What can I say, I like a bit of scone with my jam.
Scone-making used to be a skill which eluded me. I usually left them for my Mum to make as mine never turned out quite right. It's that balance of giving the mixture a light fold without over handling it. However, last year I became determined to master scone-making and after some practise, mostly making cheese scones to eat along with homemade soup, I think I've just about cracked it. :)
For my scones I used my Granny's recipe, which is this recipe but minus the dates. Mmmm date scones. Perhaps I need to bake another batch...







Ah its so beautiful to see a proper scone! I was served a scone and jam with SQUIRTY CREAM last week!!! Should be a criminal offence!!
ReplyDeleteI do love scones, my oven always produces mishapen but edible ones! And I am intrigued by date scones, sound very tasty!
SQUIRTY CREAM?! *recoils in horror*
DeleteQuite a few of my scones from this batch were lopsided too. I think it gives them character! :)
Wow Jo, these are picture perfect! You have baked them to perfection! and I love the styling too :) I too have been served 3 different scones here in Scotland in the past few weeks with squirty cream! when I asked the lady to take the one back and bring it with no cream as I didn't know it was going to be squirty cream, she asked me angrily 'well what cream were you wanting?!' I was like umm clotted?! I couldn't believe it!!!
ReplyDeleteNot another squirty cream horror story! One of my favourite places for a cuppa in Edinburgh when I was at uni was The Lot in the Grassmarket. Sadly it has closed down, but it used to do lovely huge, warm scones filled with jam and clotted cream (no squirty cream there!) It was a converted church so the interior was beautiful too.
DeleteThis looks like summer on a plate :)
ReplyDeleteI think you've very much cracked it Jo, those scones look perfect. And I love that top photograph. All of them are good, but that one especially.
ReplyDeletemmm, delicious! I did bake scones at the weekend, but now I'm craving them again!
ReplyDeleteoh wow yes please
ReplyDeletePerfect looking scones! That is the jam we always have with ours too! Mine always taste alright but they always rise and then fall over, so they look like slinkies...!
ReplyDeleteLittle beats a freshly-baked scone and tea. It's The Dream! I have a friend coming over this afternoon, and have been wondering what to cook...now I know. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDelete