I've found some lovely things in the last couple of months, both online and in charity shops, so I thought I'd share them here.
This J&G Meakin Studio small serving(?) bowl is my most recent find. Although I've mostly been collecting 40s/50s, pastel utility china over the past couple of years I'm finding myself falling hard for 60s/70s graphic patterns again. It's so colourful and funky and I love it interspersed with all my pastel pieces. Who says you need to stick to one decade for styling? Mix and match all the way!
The floral turquoise background is a snazzy single bedding set which I also found in a charity shop. I haven't made any plans for it yet as I'm still at the stroking and admiring stage.
Moving onto sewing related purchases, I've bought a couple of skirt patterns to try out and finally Tilly Walnes' new sewing book, Love At First Stitch. I've been following her blog for nearly three years so it's fantastic to see her style evolve and business develop. Like my favourite baking books I've found myself flicking through it at bedtime just to admire the pretty styling. I definitely see myself making a couple of her patterns.
And after complaining about my sleeve fitting woes I came across the McCall's sewing book in a charity shop for £1. Sure, it looks dated, but it has some really useful fitting advice as well as pattern adjustments, general sewing techniques and even advice on furniture restoration! Some of the colour photographs are hilarious too. Check these out:
And after complaining about my sleeve fitting woes I came across the McCall's sewing book in a charity shop for £1. Sure, it looks dated, but it has some really useful fitting advice as well as pattern adjustments, general sewing techniques and even advice on furniture restoration! Some of the colour photographs are hilarious too. Check these out:
Look at that lady swanning around among all that fancy lace, she's amazing. And is it wrong that I love this floral, orange decor?
Still on the theme of jazzy fabrics, I've been on another Frumble bender and bought some teacup and beard print fabric.
Still on the theme of jazzy fabrics, I've been on another Frumble bender and bought some teacup and beard print fabric.
I love the 70s, scandinavian feel of the teacup print and plan to use it with one of my new skirt patterns. And words cannot express how much I love the beard fabric. So funky.... so manly. It's crying out to become a fitted, feminine dress.
On a side note, it's apparently World Beard Day today!
On a side note, it's apparently World Beard Day today!
And lastly.... I've bought new jackets. Now this is a big thing for me as I have been unsuccessfully looking for a good quality, short jacket for years. I bought a navy one last year which I quite like, but it's already showing signs of wear and it never really replaced the affection I had for my old jacket. Then last month I found two I really like!
This spotty number was from Dickins and Jones in the House of Fraser sale, although it was still quite expensive for me even in the sale. I think it's worth paying a bit more for a well tailored jacket though if you're very hourglass shaped like me as this jacket fits my shape perfectly.
This turquoisey blue Boden jacket was definitely expensive for me but I was completely infatuated with the scalloped edge and big, covered buttons.
It's not as fitted as the other jacket. The waist is a bit roomy on me but I think the straighter shape is part of the jacket's 60s style and as long as I don't do up the top button I don't look boxy. I debated sending it back but then thought screw it, I'm having both jackets as they're both great quality and I honestly don't tend to splurge very often. I think they also look lovely hanging in front of my pink sewing cupboard.
This spotty number was from Dickins and Jones in the House of Fraser sale, although it was still quite expensive for me even in the sale. I think it's worth paying a bit more for a well tailored jacket though if you're very hourglass shaped like me as this jacket fits my shape perfectly.
This turquoisey blue Boden jacket was definitely expensive for me but I was completely infatuated with the scalloped edge and big, covered buttons.
It's not as fitted as the other jacket. The waist is a bit roomy on me but I think the straighter shape is part of the jacket's 60s style and as long as I don't do up the top button I don't look boxy. I debated sending it back but then thought screw it, I'm having both jackets as they're both great quality and I honestly don't tend to splurge very often. I think they also look lovely hanging in front of my pink sewing cupboard.
Well done if you got to the end. It was probably a bad idea to spend money on fabric, patterns and jackets just before my trip to London with friends next week (AHHH HARRY POTTER TOUR!!!) but hey, you only live once. If you Londoners see an excitable 5ft 8 female with short hair and a bright yellow handbag in a group of 5 ladies in their mid twenties, that'll be me.
Has anyone else had any fantastic finds recently?








what a lot of lovely stuff!
ReplyDeleteThank you :)
DeleteI always love seeing your purchases because i love your taste!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much CC! :)
DeleteWhat a lot of fabulous finds! I love that blue jacket!!!
ReplyDeleteCarly
x
Thanks Carly. It's still hanging on the cupboard door being admired. I haven't actually worn it yet!
DeleteSome great finds, I've been quite taken by the Boden jacket too - is it as good as it looks? (Must resist!)
ReplyDeleteIt is rather lovely. I like that it has raglan sleeves rather than set in ones, a bit different to my usual jackets.
DeleteI've got the same bedding set, but as a double which we use. Its one of my faves. And you've brought the Hollyburn skirt pattern too! I made a couple of skirts using this pattern earlier this year - check out my blog for details. This is a brilliant pattern, so easy and I bet you'll make more than one skirt from it. Its addictive! xxx
ReplyDeleteAmazing! I wish it was a double like yours as it would look pretty funky next to my wallpaper.
DeleteI remember seeing your pink flamingo hollyburn a few months back and thinking it looked fantastic. Oddly the hollyburn wasn't really on my radar until I saw a few really nice versions (including yours!) this year which swayed me.
I really recognise that print on your crockery, I must of had a relative with the set at some point! Seems so familiar....!
ReplyDeleteLove your polka dot jacket most - really cute cut and pattern
Thanks Anne! The cut on the polka dot jacket is so flattering. It's been about 8 years since I owned a correct fitting blazer style jacket!
DeleteLove love love those jackets! Have a fab time in London!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kim! :)
DeleteThat Boden jacket is beautiful! :)
ReplyDeleteMaria xxx
Thanks Maria, I can't wait to wear it.
DeleteI've been waiting ot see these jackets and I love love love them both. The scallops are amazing, as is the colour. Boden always seems to come up a bit big, though. I love Dickins + Jones as well, sometimes they have some right gems!
ReplyDeleteThanks Char. Yeah I think the sizing in Boden can be funny. I also ordered a pair of skinny jeans which were way too tight around my knees and thighs (there was absolutely no give in the fabric) yet they were quite roomy around my hips and waist. Sadly I had to send them back. Dickins and Jones have been a lovely discovery this year. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more of their collections.
DeleteGreat finds...I'm a sucker for scallops too so ur Boden jacket has me green with envy! <3 xx
ReplyDelete