Thursday, 6 November 2014

hot chocolate deluxe cake

When I first left university and started this blog I worked in a cafe/bar and one of my favourite drinks to make was the hot chocolate deluxe: a milky hot chocolate topped with a swirl of cream, marshmallows and a Cadbury flake. By this time of year I was making quite a lot of these daily. Cold weather hits and everybody craves hot chocolate.


To celebrate the arrival of hot chocolate weather I thought I'd recreate my favourite cafe drink as a layer cake: monster slabs of moist chocolate sponge sandwiched together with chocolate icing, marshmallows and topped with mini swirls of cream, even more marshmallows and a chocolate flake.


Although visually impressive I have to admit I was massively disappointed with my icing for this cake. It was entirely my own fault too as I stupidly didn't taste it before slapping it on the cake. (There's a reason why Masterchef contestants are always told off for not tasting their food.) Despite the fluffiness there was a slight grainy texture. I'm guessing I should have dissolved the cocoa powder properly in hot water/milk first before adding to the mixture as the graininess certainly wasn't from lack of mixing.


I think it should have tasted much more chocolatey as well, but at the time I was reserving the remaining chocolate to make a ganache topping. The plan was to use chocolate butter icing for filling and crumb coating, then make a ganache to coat the top and sides. By the time I stacked the sponges I realised crumb coating wasn't really an option as I didn't have enough icing left and it wasn't practical with my tiny palette knife. Ganache also seemed unnecessary by this point so I whipped some of the cream and piped it on as rosettes.


The cream rosettes worked brilliantly. Not only did they look cute they also offered a light contrast to the chocolate and sweet marshmallows. The cake itself was also lovely - light in texture, juicy and satisfyingly chocolatey in flavour - it has been my go-to, easy chocolate cake recipe for many years. If I recreated this hot chocolate themed cake, which is definitely worth doing as this cake is so close to being awesome, I'd use chocolate ganache instead of butter icing. I think it would have more of an indulgent hot chocolate quality.


The hot chocolate powder I used for this cake was kindly sent to me by Whittard along with a couple of other exciting prodcuts which I will blog about soon. I've actually had their parcel for a couple of weeks and it has been so tempting just to drink it all and not bake with it, haha! I hadn't tried their luxury hot chocolate before as I tend to favour their white hot chocolate but this is satisfyingly rich and indulgent, definitely a luxury. It's a real treat with a few marshmallows and the perfect way to spend an afternoon doing a bit of letter writing and crafting.


Hot chocolate deluxe cake
Recipe adapted from here, my favourite chocolate cake recipe. Use the recipe in the link if you'd prefer a normal sized sandwich cake! (7" round)

cake:
262g/ 9oz self raising flour
3 generous tbsp Whittard Luxury hot chocolate cocoa powder  (courtesy of Whittard)
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
225g/ 7.5oz soft light brown sugar
3 generous tbsp golden syrup
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
225ml/ 7.5fl oz sunflower oil
225ml/ 7.5fl oz milk (I used semi skimmed)

icing - this is what I used but I would recommend using your own favourite chocolate butter icing or chocolate ganache recipe instead:
250g icing sugar
125g unsalted butter, softened
100g milk chocolate, melted and cooled (I used Green and Blacks)
1 tbsp Whittard hot chocolate cocoa powder
a splash of milk
150ml double cream, whipped until stiff
1 Cadbury flake
a bag of mini marshmallows and heart shaped marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and grease and line three 6 inch round tins. In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda. Stir in the sugar then make a well in the centre for the wet ingredients. Add the golden syrup, eggs, oil and milk then mix everything together for about a minute. 

Divide equally between the three tins and bake in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes until well risen, firm to touch and a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. I put a layer of greaseproof paper on top after 25-30 minutes as the tops were starting to catch/burn but the insides still weren't fully cooked. It may be worth cooking them in a slightly cooler oven next time or perhaps not fill the tins so high! Leave to cool in the tins for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Once completely cool, level all the tops of the sponges for stacking. Mine rose quite high so I had a lot of leftover crumbs to nibble on! 

For the icing, mix together the icing sugar, butter, chocolate, and cocoa for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Use to sandwich together the layers along with a few handfuls of mini marshmallows. Whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks and pipe as rosettes on the top of the cake. Decorate with more marshmallows and a flake.

Disclaimer: I was sent products to bake with as Whittard recognise I'm a crazy cake lady with an uncontrollable hot chocolate and tea addiction. They're a brand I enjoy and have purchased from before. I was not paid for this post and all opinions expressed are my own.

18 comments:

  1. What an amazing cake! I wish I could bake so beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! The beauty of this chocolate cake is that it's *so* easy to bake and very tasty. It only requires one mixing bowl and could easily be made without a mixer.

      Delete
  2. A feast for the eyes, and it does look like a hot chocolate drink. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, this is nothing short of epic! i think I share the same favourite chocolate cake recipe with you too, it's so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah excellent! I've tried other chocolate cake recipes but always seem to come back to this one. Great flavour with minimum effort!

      Delete
  4. This cake looks amazing. I bake with cocoa powder often but had never really thought of using hot chocolate to bake with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Char! As long as it's a milk-based hot chocolate powder (rather than the instant water ones) I think it should work much the same. I've used Whittard's chai latte powder in cakes as well and they worked really well too.

      Delete
  5. Amazing looking cake - shame the frosting didn't work out how you wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC! I was happy with how I decorated it but I've definitely learnt my lesson. Taste it first!

      Delete
  6. That cake is astounding! My mouth is watering just looking at the photos and I've got nothing as scrumptious as that in my house to satisfy my cake-craving!
    Happy Baking! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I love Whittards, their hot chocolates are to die for!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! Their hot chocolates are the best. I have a whole shelf of a kitchen cupboard mostly dedicated to Whittard hot chocolates! I think I might have a problem...

      Delete
  8. Yum! I'd totally love this for my weekend reward!!! love everything about it, including that giant flake in the middle of the cake! and loving the naked cake too - very trendy!! and so funny that you sent me the sprinkle bake link because I had already drooled all over my screen at that cake and bookmarked it when she had blogged about it and you're right it's sooo up my street! If it wasn't so ginormous I'd make it as a weekend reward for sure but I have feeling it would take Byron and I longer than 2 days to work through the beast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gem! I thought you might have already seen it but sent you the link just in case as it is so you!

      Delete
  9. That is an impressive looking cake and the frosting looks good from here! I love how you've re-created your favourite drink in cake form and in particular the heart marhsmallows. Please send a large slice over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros! It was a ginormous beast of a cake, despite only being 6" in diameter. I had to reduce it to two layers so it could fit in my cake tin later! I loved the heart shaped marshmallows too. A great find in the baking aisle of the supermarket :)

      Delete