Friday, 19 June 2015

cheerful crochet pineapple garland

Hey, look, I crocheted something! This is worth celebrating for 3 reasons:

1. It has been 2 1/2 years since I last crocheted.

2. I actually remembered how to crochet - a great achievement as I have the memory of a goldfish.

3. I didn't give myself tendonitis/repetitive strain injury like last time. Epic win, as the cool kids say.


I've had the crochet pineapple garland tutorial from By Hand London bookmarked for ages, knowing it would make the perfect birthday present for my friend Kirsty as we have a daft in-joke about pineapples. I set aside a few weeks to make the garland, restricting myself to 1/2 hour - 1 hour crochet time per day as I really didn't want to risk injuring myself again (stupid hand and arm muscles...) and I finished it within a week. Yay!


The only change I made from the tutorial was to chain 30 instead of 20 between each pineapple and hang them from the top of the central "leaf". I made 13 pineapples in total (I like an odd number) and the garland is just over 6ft long which I think is nice, manageable size.


I felt a bit sad parting with the pineapple garland as it matches my yellow formica table so nicely, but I can thankfully report that it is very happy in its new home.

11 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful, and you are so talented. I was reading your about page and noticed you studied fine art - me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you, Natasha. My talents are very one sided though - my math/basic arithmatic skills are appalling!

      Let's start a fine art graduate bloggers club!! Haha

      Delete
  2. It does match your table very nicely - maybe you'll need to make another for yourself! I have to watch how long I spend crocheting too, I pretty much just restrict it to my lunch breaks at the moment. Still, it's surprising how much you can get done in short amounts of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting to hear. My friend can crochet for hours without any ill effect but I definitely have to restrict my time or I get stiff hands and a toothachey elbow. Crochet does grow very quickly though :)

      Delete
  3. That looks so fun and cute! I could imagine all sorts of fruits and vegetables looking great in a crochet garland - how about purple for some little aubergines next time? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness an aubergine garland! Haha. I actually have some purple wool in my stash so may need to make that happen!

      Delete
  4. This is so lovely and what an amazingly fun gift!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. It was a fun thing to work on in the evenings, and brilliantly light to post!

      Delete
  5. They are so cute! If you made them in purple it could double up as an aubergine garland...which everyone would want!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fabulous. I think you need to repeat this so you have one of your own. (found your blog today, looks great)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice idea and great way to add colour to a space! :)

    ReplyDelete