Monday, 28 September 2015

snap happy skirt

This camera print fabric has been sitting patiently in my stash for over a year. It's funny how you can be desperate to buy something and have a clear vision of what you want to make but only get around to it a year later. Amanda's camera print skirt earlier this month reminded me that I still hadn't used my fabric so I quickly set to work on my skirt. Thanks Amanda for the inadvertent boot up the backside!


I originally found the fabric through Char as she made an awesome dress with this fabric in the brown/taupe colourway. I was absolutely smitten with the print because I'm a Diana camera fan so I immediately tried to track down the fabric. Sadly I could get my hands on 1.25m but thankfully that was enough for the skirt I had in mind.


The skirt pattern is the same as my Santa skirt from last Christmas, a self drafted yoke/curved waistband with a gathered skirt, although I reshaped the side seams to improve the fit. The top of the waistband seams were tapered in by about an inch on each side to hug my shape better (perhaps I've changed shape?) I also kept a bit more skirt length by only turning up the hem by an inch in total before topstitching in place. Fun fact: I ran out of coordinating thread 3/4 way around the hem so the last quarter is finished in a slightly different shade. Not that anybody would notice!


There wasn't enough camera fabric to make the waistband facing without piecing it together so I used plain black cotton from my stash. The black acetate-type lining was also from my stash.


As the white selvedge was well within a 5/8inch seam allowance I decided to use it for my skirt seams. I love the cute colour charts and designer information on selvedges so it's fun to use it as a hidden garment detail. It also meant I didn't need to finish my side seams. Hurray!


I'll finish this post with a dorky photo of myself pretending to take a photograph with my Diana mini in my new skirt. It had to be done, didn't it?


Say cheese!

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. I'm really pleased with it :)

      Delete
  2. Such a cute skirt! I love the shape and the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tassadit. I'm happy to finally have a skirt in this shape which isn't festive!

      Delete
  3. This is a fabulous skirt both the great camera print and the shape. Really looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful skirt and I adore the print. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha. I did think to myself whilst sewing this that the turquoise colour and vintage camera print would appeal to you!

      Delete
  5. That skirt.. oh my. That room.. oh my. That DRESSER... JO? I can't even.. Have you a house tour? Can we arrange a house tour? I promise to bring cake?? ;) Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay house tour and cake! I think I did a room tour on the blog some time last year after I finished renovating it, so feel free to have a dig around the archives! The pink dresser was originally a short wardrobe I decided to revamp and into a sewing cupboard.... which meant I got to buy a new, bigger wardrobe! Hehe

      Delete
  6. It is well done! I adore this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a fun skirt! It looks great with your colourful tights too. And yes, the last photo definitely had to be done, it would have been rude not to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks Ruth. I couldn't not photograph myself in this skirt without involving my little camera!

      Delete
  8. That skirt is so beautifully made Jo, and you wear it well too. I love reading about all your sewing projects :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you, VK! I'm glad people are enjoying my sewing adventures as well as my baking and crockery collecting.

      Delete
  9. This skirt is just gorgeous, I love that fabric!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! It's definitely going to become a favourite piece, I've worn it a few times already.

      Delete
  10. I love this skirt, I think I like the blue colourway even better in this fabric. Such a fab photo with your camera as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a gorgeous skirt!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete