I've had this recipe bookmarked for ages as I've been itching to make a battenberg cake for a while and I was really intrigued by the flavours of this version.
I'm really pleased with how it turned out; it's a classic with a twist. In hindsight I could have decorated the cake with one of those fancy crimped edges that Paul and Mary would have done on the Great British Bake Off, but ultimately I just want to tidy up the kitchen and eat the cake. It's a wonder I can restrain myself long enough to take a few photographs for the blog.
I'm really pleased with how it turned out; it's a classic with a twist. In hindsight I could have decorated the cake with one of those fancy crimped edges that Paul and Mary would have done on the Great British Bake Off, but ultimately I just want to tidy up the kitchen and eat the cake. It's a wonder I can restrain myself long enough to take a few photographs for the blog.
I'm not sure how to describe the flavour of this cake. The dominant flavour is almond, obviously due to the marzipan (mmmm, marzipan) followed by apricot as it is in both the sponge and the jam, then the warming spices of cinnamon and ginger. Despite carrot and coconut being in the title of the recipe I'd say they provide texture and moisture rather than big flavour. They're there, but more subtle.
The carrot cake half didn't rise as well as the coconut half so I had a bit of levelling to do once the cakes were cool. I'm assuming that's due to extra moisture from the carrots, apricot chunks and orange food colouring. Other than that the cake came together very smoothly. Although I'm generally not keen to add food colouring to cakes, I love the extra punch the orange colouring adds to the carrot cake half. It really enhances the classic battenberg chequerboard pattern.
If you love battenberg cake and fancy something a little bit different then I'd definitely recommend giving this recipe a go :)
If you love battenberg cake and fancy something a little bit different then I'd definitely recommend giving this recipe a go :)
Carrot and coconut battenberg cake
Recipe (marginally adapted) from "Peek-a-boo cakes" by Joanna Farrow. Pub. 2014
carrot sponge:
100g margarine
100g light soft brown sugar
2 eggs, large
100g self-raising flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
75g carrot, finely grated
40g dried apricots, finely chopped
25g ground almonds
orange food colouring
coconut sponge:
100g margarine
100g caster sugar
2 eggs, large
100g self-raising flour
25g dessicated coconut
1/2 tsp baking powder
decoration:
200g apricot jam
375g marzipan
icing sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C/160 Fan/Gas 4. Cut a strip of cardboard the same length and depth as a 8" / 20cm square cake tin (I used a cereal box). Cover the strip with baking foil and fit it down the centre of the tin. Grease and line the bases and sides of the two sections with greaseproof paper.
In a large bowl, beat together all the carrot cake ingredients, excluding the food colouring, for about a minute until smooth. Add some food colouring to enhance the "carrot" colour, mix well, then pour the mixture into one side of the tin. Level the surface.
In another large bowl, beat together all the coconut cake ingredients for a minute until smooth. Pour the mixture into the other side of the tin and level the top so it rises evenly. Bake the cakes in the centre of the oven for about 40 minutes until well risen and just firm to touch. Cool on a wire rack before peeling off the greaseproof paper.
Once the cakes are completely cool, set them side by side on a work surface and level their height using a sharp knife. It's important they're the same height for stacking. Trim the sides of the cakes if necessary as well. Cut each sponge in half lengthwise so you have 4 strips of sponge. Warm the jam in a saucepan on the hob to slacken it and remove any lumps with a sieve if necessary. Use half the jam to stick the sponges together, stacking them in a chequered pattern.
Sprinkle a layer of icing sugar on a work surface and roll out 375g of the marzipan in a rectangular shape until it is big enough to wrap around the cake. Brush the marzipan with the remaining warm jam, put the cake in the centre and wrap the marzipan up over the sides. Trim until neat and turn the cake over so the overlap is at the bottom. Brush the ends of the cake with any remaining jelly and any left over/spare marzipan can be used be roll out into squares to cover the ends.




this looks fabulous, and such an original combination of flavours for a battenberg - yum!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I thought the flavour combination sounded really unusual but it works really well.
DeleteOooh I adore battenberg but I've never made it, great idea to play around the flavours!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Anne! Hope you eventually get round to making it!
DeleteAww you've made it so pretty and neat. I've seen different flavours of battenburg before but not carrot and coconut. Aaaand now you've made me want to try it!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Laura! I tried hard to make everything level and neat :)
DeleteYummy, I have made battenburg recently. I didn't bother crimping either but focussed more on the eating of the yummy cake too!
ReplyDeleteHaha, glad to hear it!
DeleteYou just can't go wrong with a battenburg.Yum! xx
ReplyDeleteThanks, VK. You really can't go wrong with it!
DeleteLooks yummy! I'm not usually a massive fan of Battenburg, obviously I'd happily eat it but it's just not my favourite cake, but this flavour combination sounds a bit more interesting to me!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ruth. It's funny how we all have flavours combinations we're not bothered about but we don't necessarily dislike. Oddly enough mine is coconut but I loved the idea of it paired with apricot and carrot.
DeleteI need to get over my 'anything that isn't pink and yellow is heresy' views about battenberg - because this looks great and I know I'd love it! Prejudice is a strange thing.....
ReplyDeleteHehe, I know what you mean, but the unusual flavour combination won me over.
DeleteIt looks and sounds perfect - battenberg is one of my favourites!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Natasha! I hardly ever have/make it so it always feels like a treat.
DeleteI've never baked a battenburg cake before and would love to give it a go one day. Your flavour combination sounds fab and the icing looks neat and pretty. I wouldn't worry about the crimping - I'd be the same and just want to tuck into the cake!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ros. I'll maybe trying crimping the next one... if I can stop myself from wanting to dive into it!
Delete