My brother gave me a "Knit your own Dinosaur" book for my birthday last year which has got to rank as one of my coolest presents. It's like the book was written specifically for me (or perhaps Char!) It didn't take me long to decide to knit the brachiosaurus as it looked relatively straight forward.
Me being me, I was drawn to the wrong weight of wool for the project. It specified aran but I was entranced by a variegated pastel coloured dk wool and decided to use that instead to make a multi coloured dinosaur. Sizing down needles made things a bit more fiddly, but still doable. The finished dino is still pretty sizeable standing at 26cm tall and roughly 41cm long from head to tail.
"Hiya!"
I knitted everything within a week but then became distracted by my agatha cardigan and christmas knitting so it got shoved in a drawer. Oops. Finally, last week I took it back out to sew together and stuff.
My sewing could have been better and I ended up not feeling entirely convinced about how much I liked the
finished effect of the multi coloured wool (he/she has a
bit of a Phantom of the Opera face going on - typical that the colour
would change right at the head on both sides!) but overall I think it’s
pretty cute. Perhaps it gives the dinosaur more charm!
It's a good first attempt and I will definitely knit more from the book. My brother has already put in a request for a "manly" stegosaurus.
The Phaaaaaaaantom of the opera is heeeeeere.
It's a good first attempt and I will definitely knit more from the book. My brother has already put in a request for a "manly" stegosaurus.
"Talk to the tail 'cause the face ain't listenin' "






Love it!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jane!
DeleteCute.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Louise!
DeleteRoar!!! A very cute and friendly looking dino.
ReplyDeleteThanks, VK. She's a very ladylike dinosaur.
DeleteThat is fab!
ReplyDeleteCheers! I can't wait to make more!
DeleteYou are soooooo clever it is adoarable and knitted so well I thought you had used an old jumper at first and sewn it together...well done...are you going to make a friend for it?
ReplyDeletebest D x
Haha, the yarn did all the clever work for me :D My friend crocheted me a dinosaur a couple of years ago so my brachiosaurus has some company until I knit another one.
DeleteAwesome! Can't wait to see a T rex -easily the best dinosaur!
ReplyDeleteHehe, thanks. The T-Rex pattern is pretty funky so I'm definitely planning to make one.
DeleteIt's so fun! My sister saw a different knitted dinosaurs book when we were shopping recently and really liked them so I may well have to make her one as a present sometime!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ruth. You definitely should! They're a bit fiddly to sew to together but still a fun project.
DeleteHe is so so so cute!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Natasha!
DeletePastel dinosaurs! They look amazing, and I never bother with gauge on toys, much more fun to just get on with the knitting ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Elise. Yeah I didn't think the gauge mattered too much with this.
Delete