After the success of last year's Wimbledon final cake I decided to make another this year. I didn't write out a recipe last time so I thought the cake was worth documenting again.
This is such a pretty, summery cake. I love the simplicity of a dusting of icing sugar and the freshness of strawberries and cream.
I also love when a filling squidges when you cut into the cake. There's strawberry jam and whipped cream sandwiched between the sponges here which makes for a satisfying squidge.
A couple of folk last time asked whether the strawberries made the sponges soggy and I think the trick to avoiding that is to keep the strawberry chunks fairly small and not to add too many. I also gave them a light coating of flour before incorporating them into the cake batter.
I don't think I have anything else new to say about the cake. The combination of vanilla flecked sponge with strawberries, cream and jam is a winner. The only bummer is that the cake needs to be kept in the fridge due to the cream filling, but then again, you may find this cake won't last longer than one sitting. It's pretty good.
Strawberry and cream cake
sponges:
200g margarine/ softened butter
200g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
200g self raising flour
100g strawberries, chopped into relatively small chunks - lightly coated in flour
filling:
300ml pot of double cream - lightly whipped
generous spoonfuls of strawberry jam
icing sugar for dusting
extra strawberries for decoration
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease two 18cm/7 inch round cake tins and line the bases with baking parchment. In a large bowl beat together the margarine and sugar for
about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs to the mixture
one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add a tablespoon of
the flour with the last egg to prevent the mixture from splitting. Add
the vanilla bean paste and flour and mix everything together until fully combined. Stir in the
strawberry chunks until evenly distributed.
Divide the mixture between the cake tins and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for approx. 30 minutes
until well risen, light golden and spring back when touched. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Once cool, sandwich the cakes together with whipped cream and strawberry jam. Decorate the top of the cake with a dusting of icing sugar and halves of strawberries.
This is best eaten on the day of serving although it will keep for a couple of days if covered and kept in the fridge.





Mmm, that looks an amazing bake Jo - so fluffy and light. I've never tried adding strawberries into a batter before, but I imagine it would make a lovely change. I think if I were to make the cake for our family it too wouldn't last longer than one sitting ;-)
ReplyDeleteAngela x
Thanks, Angela. I've had mixed success with incorporating strawberries into bakes, as they tend to be quite watery, but I've found it works providing you don't add too many. They make satisfying little, juicy pockets in the fluffy sponge.
DeleteOhhh that looks so yummy! I would love to try this recipe. I agree with you. Vanilla, cream and strawberries are a perfect combo.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, lovely photos. My mouth is watering.
Hope you are having a great day.
Much love,
Mona
Thank you, Mona. It's a lovely, fresh cake - perfect for summer. Hope you enjoy if you give it a try :)
DeleteThat cake looks truly luscious, Jo! I could eat that right now with a cup of tea xx
ReplyDeleteThanks, VK. I'm wishing I still had a slice to have with my cup of tea as well!
DeleteGorgeous, just gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteAww, thank you, Jean :)
DeleteLooks delicious Jo! Strawberries and cream are always a winning combination!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ruth! I'm making the most of strawberry season and picking up a punnet whenever I see one. Every summer I plan to make jam but I just end up eating them all!
Delete