I made a new skirt! I'm resisting the urge to shout "ta-daaah!" but that's basically what I want to say every time I finish a sewing project. I'm so slow that it always feels like a massive achievement, like I've climbed the top of a mountain.
This is a Tilly and the Buttons Arielle skirt in a fantastically funky needlecord which I purchased from Fabric Rehab earlier this year. I'm absolutely gutted to hear that they are closing down as they are one of my favourite places for finding fabric in fun prints.
There were three "firsts" with this skirt: catchstitching a hem, making covered buttons (OH MY
GOD SO BEAUTIFUL, COVERED BUTTONS ON EVERYTHING) and multiple buttonholes. Learning is fun! I'm embarrassed that it has taken me almost a year to use the
automatic buttonhole function on my new sewing machine (I upgraded last Christmas). I
genuinely squealed with delight as I couldn't believe how easily it produced
a buttonhole. It's so much better than the 4 step buttonhole function on my old Singer,
which I only tried once. I definitely feel the urge to make more items with buttonholes.
I'm also feeling rather smug about the insides of this skirt, it's so pleasingly neat!
Easing the lining into the facing at the inside curve was a bit tricky, so the facing looks a bit manhandled there, but other than that I think the finish looks really professional. All the understitching and sharp, turned out corners make me very happy. I also french seamed my lining pieces and catchstitched the skirt hem for even more neat construction bonus points.
My waist and hip measurements fall into size 3 so that's what I cut out. My only alteration was adding an extra buttonhole, which gave me around 3 inches extra length, as I felt the mini version really would be too mini on me. (For reference, I'm somewhere between 5ft 7"-8".) I really like the finished length - cute but not so short that I feel self conscious.
The fit is very flattering however it is *very*
fitted, not a skirt to be lunging in or climbing over fences. It's for "ladylike" days, haha. Ideally I'd prefer more room for movement but I think that's just because I'm used to wearing flared styles whereas this is straight. If I had made this skirt in a fabric with a bit of stretch then it would be
perfect.
I did adjust the side seams a little bit afterwards, grading out 1/8 inch each side from the hip to the hem. However I then realised that unless I adjust the lining pieces as well then the first alteration doesn't make much difference. I can't be bothered unpicking french seams (uggghh) so it's staying as it is.
I did adjust the side seams a little bit afterwards, grading out 1/8 inch each side from the hip to the hem. However I then realised that unless I adjust the lining pieces as well then the first alteration doesn't make much difference. I can't be bothered unpicking french seams (uggghh) so it's staying as it is.
Man I love those covered buttons.
That's not to say I don't love this skirt because I really do think it's beautiful, but it
might not get worn as frequently as others due to practicality. However
it will be handy in wild, winter weather: no fear of this skirt blowing up in the wind!
I'm on a bit of a creative roll at the moment as I've finished two knitting projects and I'm currently having sewing adventures with jersey. Blog posts coming soon!






WOW. I love it! The fabric, the covered buttons, the shape is just amazing. I don't think I'd suit this shape otherwise I'd be really tempted. And yay, we're shoe twins!
ReplyDeleteCheers, Char. Shoe twins FTW! Gotta love tesco for cheap shoes.
DeleteThis is such a great skirt and I love that its side buttoning - really unusual, which is good! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your projects soon! :-D
ReplyDeleteThanks VK! The side buttoning was what drew me towards the pattern. It's a little bit different to the norm.
DeleteA great choice of fabric for this skirt, make the garment really fun. I adore it, and you look smashing in it. Hope you do wear it lots as it rocks.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Louise! I've worn it a couple of times so far and really enjoyed wearing it.
DeleteThis skirt is amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's a lovely skirt Jo! And I'm sure we all deserve a bit of a 'ta daaah' moment for any finished projects - especially those involving covered buttons and pleasingly neat insides!
ReplyDeleteHehe, thanks, Ruth. It's good to know others think that's worth celebrating as well. I'll never not get a thrill from covered buttons or neat construction, such a nerd.
DeleteArgh it's amazing! Such awesome fabric :)
ReplyDeleteCheers, Elise! I'm a sucker for mustard yellow, funky patterns and corduroy so this fabric ticked all the boxes.
DeleteThat is gorgeous. I ordered the Agnes and Bettine - changed my mind about making up the dress as I think it would look 'too' casual, going to have to get this one! It looks fun to sew and I like to sew with heavier fabrics. Yours is like cake sprinkles
ReplyDeleteAwww thanks! It really does look like cake sprinkles - I hadn't considered that. Haha! I love it even more now.
DeleteArielle is a lovely pattern to sew. I found it really satisfying to construct so I'd definitely recommend it. I've also just sewn a couple of Agnes tops and really enjoyed using the pattern. Hope yours turn out well!