Thursday, 5 January 2017

2016 round up and plans for 2017

Happy new year, folks! My 2016 round up has slid into 2017 which is a bit annoying but I doubt the world will implode as a result.

First up, cakey creations! I have to admit to feeling disappointed with my baking output on the blog last year. The first part of the year was ok but by the latter half I found myself repeat baking so hardly anything got blogged. Nobody needs to read about me baking the same chocolate or carrot cake for the 10th time.

Although there's nothing wrong with having favourite recipes, I'd like to get back into the habit of trying new recipes or occasionally pushing myself out of my baking comfort zone. I received digital scales for Christmas (and utterly brilliant 3D dinosaur cake moulds!) so there's no excuse for avoiding more complicated recipes which require precise measurements.


For the first time in a couple of years I checked my blog stats (seriously, I never look at them) and my most popular baking post was the salted caramel cake. My personal favourite, however, was the deceptively named sour cream coffee cake which contains no coffee. I definitely need to bake that cake again; the texture and flavour was just so good.

Onto sewing! In 2016 I made 5 dresses, 3 tops, 1 skirt and 1 pair of dungaree shorts. I feel like I learned a lot last year: new construction methods, automatic buttonholes, covered buttons and generally making items fit better. As much as I hate the phrase "game changer" I think upgrading my sewing machine massively improved the quality of my sewing.


Although I'm really happy with all my handmade pieces from 2016 my absolute favourite, most worn and according to my blog stats most popular (out of all my blog posts!) is my pink dungaree shorts. These get worn almost weekly I love them that much. They were the first item I sewed on my new sewing machine and I put so much care into their construction that every little detail makes me happy when I wear them. I'm delighted blog-land thinks they're awesome too.

In 2016 I knitted a mixture of very wearable, practical pieces and utterly silly, useless things. And I love all of them! And like last year I have one token piece of crochet. I haven't been much of a crocheter since I've fully learned to knit.


I'm pleased that I have continued to progress my knitting skills such as venturing into cables and stranded knitting, both of which were much easier than I expected! My most popular knitting post in 2016 was my pink Sunshower cardigan which is lovely as I'm still stupidly proud that I can knit cute cardigans.

In terms of overall blogging reflections, 2016 has been a funny year. I haven't posted as frequently and I've been rubbish at keeping up to date with other blogs. I get the feeling blogging, baking blogging in particular, has had its day. Many of my favourite bloggers, mostly small baking blogs, have stopped blogging completely (which is fair enough if you're busy and/or feel the blog has run its course) or moved to newer platforms such as Instagram.

In other words, I've had a blogging identity crisis. Over the past year I've debated setting up a separate space for my knitting and sewing, but ultimately I know I can't be bothered with the hassle of running an extra blog. Also part of me enjoys having all my fun, creative things documented in one place. It represents me, even if it's a bit of a jumble. I'm probably over thinking all of this and people are happy to pick and choose which blog posts they want to read, but I'd be intrigued to hear other people's thoughts.

 Irrelevant photograph to break up all the text. How cool is my new tea strainer?

So what's in the pipeline for 2017? In a nutshell: more varied baking, more sewing with jersey and solid colours and more cardigans and colour work with my knitting.

I've started my gauge swatch for my first knitting project of the year: an Andi Satterlund Blaster cardigan. For sewing I've got a Kitschy Coo Lady Skater dress traced out and ready to make in a plain, navy jersey. Baking plans have to go on hold until all the Christmas/New Year food has been eaten and I've made my eldest nephew's birthday cake, but I'd like to bake something pastry based.

Congratulations if you made it to the end; that was a lot of naval gazing. What are your creative plans for the year ahead?

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the variety of posts, here! Your baking always makes me hungry 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, Sarah! Glad to know you enjoy visiting :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely bakes, and makes. Love that tea-strainer!

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all about the blogging identity crisis thing! I just wasn't feeling that baking was the main part of me anymore, and I wanted to blog about other things without creating a new blog. I agree that a lot of personal-type blogs have had their day (although I still love reading them) and hope that perhaps I'll post intermittently about less baking related stuff. I for one would love to continue to read your non-baking posts! I'm not sure you need to even go clothes shopping anymore with your whizzy sewing machine skills! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks, Ella! Sewing has definitely curbed my interest in clothes shopping. I was fussy before but I'm even more fussy now that I know I can make things! I hope you continue to blog as well, whether it's baking related or otherwise, as I always enjoy your writing.

      Delete
  4. You made some lovely things last year - and I like your variety of posts. Your plans for 2017 sound good, looking forward to seeing all your creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. It's lovely to hear other people enjoy my jumbled blogging :)

      Delete
  5. Those dungarees are AMAZING and those are some nice looking cakes! I love reading a mixture of topics in blogs but I definitely need to get better at commenting again!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria! I think there has been such a strong push on "branding" with blogs that it sometimes feels difficult or weird to publish multiples topics or content. It's as if everything needs to be neatly pidgeon-holed. (Perhaps that's just me though?)

      Delete
  6. I was such a happy lady when I got my digital scales too - they're amazing and make baking so much easier (especially when we're talking precision!). I'm not surprised your short dungarees were so popular - they're really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! It's funny how exciting a simple, little gadget can be. I'm looking forward to making good use of them!

      Delete
  7. I think the trends in blogging are definitely high-powered and shiny these days, but if there's a genuine interest there then there will always be people writing about it - just not necessarily the same ones forever. Blogs with genuine longevity aren't so common - the blogs I read now and the blogs I read 5 years ago have a fairly small overlap - but I think they're often either ones that aren't pigeonholed and change with the person's interests, or they're people with an ongoing long term fascination with something. Either way there's plenty of space on the internet for everyone and more choice & information is mostly a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete