Monday, 30 October 2017

a marvel-lous moneta

Haha, see what I did there? This is the dress I made for my birthday at the beginning of the month. If you can't wear a dress emblazoned with superheroes on your birthday, then when can you?!


Anyone remember those online quizzes on Zimbio which were all the rage a few years ago? My family took the "Which Marvel Superhero Are You?" quiz and Mum and I both got the Hulk, Dad got Captain America and my brothers got Thor and Loki. Although it was a silly quiz, the results were weirdly apt for each person. Haha!


The dress is yet another Colette Patterns Moneta dress, but this time with a roll collar and longer length sleeves. As the Marvel fabric is quite "out there" I made the sleeves and collar in a plain, contrasting black. I really like the result and it gives the dress a totally different feel to my two previous Monetas.


Unlike my second Moneta dress, I actually followed the collar instructions which say to attach it with the seam allowance sitting underneath the collar on the "right" side. I was worried this would prevent the collar from sitting flat so I understitched the neckline to tack the seam allowance down. I also sewed a short, red zig zag stitch on the inside of the back neckline, hidden under the collar from the correct side, so I can easily tell the front from the back.

My only fitting adjustment with this dress was grading back down to a size medium for the width of the shoulders as I came to the conclusion that although my shoulders are broad, grading up really wasn't necessary on my previous Moneta dresses. The armholes definitely sit better across my upper chest on this dress.


My only (minor) gripe with this dress is that the sleeves are unusually baggy in the upper arm, which is weird considering my upper arms are anything but small. I guess it'll come in handy for when I burst into a Hulk rage and need expansion room for my ripped muscles, haha! It's not worth re sewing but I altered the sleeve pattern for the next Moneta. (Oh yes, there is already a fourth...)

And that's it really, not much else to say about my dress except it's comfy, elegantly shaped and makes me feel like a total bad ass. Perfect combination, really!

 HULK SMASH!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hehe, thank you. I wasn't sure whether to include it, so I'm glad it gave you a giggle.

      Delete
  2. Great dress Jo - and I love the Hulk pose! I'm getting quite envious of all your Moneta dresses - I definitely need to find myself some fun jersey once I'm a bit more sorted from my house move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. It's hard not to do Hulk impressions when I'm wearing this dress, haha. I'm on such a jersey roll at the moment. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to non stretch fabric!

      Delete
  3. OMGosh! This is so cute!! I love your red shoes, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. They're so shiny!! I can't resist a cute patent shoe.

      Delete