My Dad grew a lot of beetroot last year which got divided between myself and my eldest brother. He pickled his portion and I pickled some but also made a big batch of beetroot and apple chutney.
Admittedly I wish I had made more pickle and less chutney as the pickle was way less labour-intensive to make. For some reason I decided to make a double portion of the chutney and it involved SO. MUCH. CHOPPING.
The resulting chutney is very tasty, but it would need to be for all that chopping! It's great on top of a homemade beef burger, lovely with quiche or a punchy little accompaniment to a cheese and cooked meat snack.
The recipe came from an old book with recipes from people around the local county. I believe this is the first thing I've made from it despite my mum having owned it for many years. I'm pretty sure it's older than me! As usual I'll put the recipe at the bottom of the post.
I had never made pickled beetroot before and was astonished by how simple it is to make. Literally just cooked beetroot, vinegar and sugar. I followed this recipe for my pickling quantities and made two batches which produced 4 decent sized jars. I definitely see more pickling in my future. I love pickled beetroot in general and this recipe did not disappoint.
I had originally planned to make my pickle and chutney before Christmas but as usual ran out of time, so this was a new year surprise for the family last month. A nice change (or break) from all the sweets and chocolates too.
Beetroot and apple chutney
2 lb cooked beetroot
2 lb peeled and cored apples (I think I used 3 or 4 Bramley cooking apples)
1 lb onions
1 lb raisins
1/2 lb sultanas
1/2 lb sugar (I used granulated)
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 Pt vinegar (I used distilled white)
Salt (I used flakes)
Cook your beetroot, peel off the skins, then dice into a large bowl and set aside.
Finely chop the apples and onions and cook on a low heat in the vinegar.
Add the fruit, spices, sugar and salt. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Mix in the beetroot after the mix has cooled slightly.
Spoon into prepared jars and cover tightly.
This is a test comment.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the test comment, it was to see if it was worth rewriting the previous comment I wrote at huge length that Blogger dumped.
ReplyDeleteI was brought up on pickled beetroot (amongst other foodstuffs) and absolutely love it. We're talking the 1950's and 60's here (otherwise known as the "olden days") and my dad grew tons of the stuff, distributing it to family and neighbours. There was an annual beetroot pickling event involving all the women of the family, me, my mum, Aunty Vera and Grandma. All roped into the peeling and slicing to make huge jars of it to last the winter. Happy days.
ReplyDeleteNot only that but who in their right mind could resist a cheese and beetroot chutney sandwich? Not me, that's for sure! Thanks for the recipe.
Aww I love the sound of an annual family pickling event. What a lovely memory to have.
DeleteI ate my chutney in a cheese and chutney sandwich last week and it was very tasty indeed.
Sorry to hear Blogger disappeared your comment, it's infuriating when that happens. I often "copy" the text if I've written a long comment just in case blogger does the disappearing trick so I can save my sanity and "paste" the comment back in.
Now that is a very good idea. I shall do the same in future.
Delete