Monday, 6 March 2023

Curry cake

Baking birthday cakes for family members leads to some strange creations such as this chicken curry inspired cake for my curry loving middle nephew.


It's only when you say out loud that yes, you did spend 2 hours hand shaping fondant into individual rice grains and spend another hour sticking them to the cake, that you realise you sound clinically insane. That or incredibly dedicated to birthday cakes.


I had a creative vision and was stubbornly determined not to compromise on it. . . which meant I was up till 2am on a Friday almost falling asleep whilst making fondant rice.

I discovered the following morning I had made far too much rice. But let's just ignore that I unnecessarily wasted an hour of my life on that.


The cake itself was a standard Victoria sponge although for the "curry" topping I used a rice Krispie marshmallow traybake mix, using a Nigella recipe found online. Needless to say it was hellish sticky to work with, but it saved me from baking more sponges and it created a pleasing, lumpy appearance.


The "chicken" pieces were also mini cakes made from scraps left over from levelling the sponges mixed with the left over butter icing, then covered with fondant. Nothing wasted here!

I hadn't really intended to come back to blogging for various reasons but this cake amused me so much over the weekend I felt compelled to share. Enjoy, if anyone still visits this blog.

8 comments:

  1. That's a great cake! Well done! I'm sure it was well received by those who were lucky enough to share in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It didn't last long on the table which is always a good sign. I also had left overs from the rice Krispie mixture and that all disappeared quickly too.

      Delete
  2. I'm still a reader! I prefer rss feeds over algorithms that only show me what they think is best, which I feel makes me old and cranky.

    Thank you for sharing your cakes :-) I would be very curious to eat that in person, because my mind would be thinking savory but the rice crispy treats would be very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz! Lovely to know you're still here. We had curry for tea that night (birthday boy's choice) so it was funny to have it again for pudding!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I didn't realise you had contemplated leaving blogworld so I'm pleased you have returned, however briefly.
    That's an amazing looking cake. I would never have the patience for anything like that myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, lovely to hear from you. This cake very much tested my patience!

      I wasn't necessarily thinking of leaving entirely (mostly because I find my blog is a handy baking resource for me to refer to), I just hadn't posted in ages as I haven't felt inclined to do so due to a variety of reasons. This cake was too fun not to share though.

      Delete
  4. This is actually amazing! How did you get the sort of shiny texture on the ‘curry’ topping? The things you do for baking eh, reminds me of the time I made a sausage dog cake so long that we had to get some MDF from B&Q for a base and then it almost didn’t fit into the car! Anyway nice to see you pop up in my Feedly, hope life is good with you otherwise. Kim x )formerly cakes from Kim if you remember! Can’t remember any logins to comment with!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim! Hello! Delighted to hear from you and know you're still around. That's made my day!

      The topping looks shiny as I painted it with liquid food colouring and it was still wet when I took the photographs.

      Your sausage dog cake must have been massive! Haha. I love our shared dedication to cakes.

      I think I need to move over to a better blog reading platform like Feedly as Bloglovin is doing my head in. It's so full of spam bots and doesn't update my feed correctly, which is a shame when I still love reading blogs.

      It's been a very mixed bag over here for the last few years, I haven't really felt like blogging at all, yet I do love having this little online memory bank so I can't see myself fully abandoning it. We shall see.
      Hope things are grand with you x

      Delete