Tuesday, 13 December 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Now this is a bit of a "ta-da" moment for me as I have never made a fruit cake before! When I saw the recipe for a "Victorian Christmas Cake" in Mary Berry's Baking Bible, I knew I had to give it a go. Although Christmas isn't Christmas without a dark, fruit cake, I much prefer a lighter cake like this one. 


I enjoyed making a pattern on top of the cake.

I did not enjoy the amount of time it took to chop, clean, drain, dry the fruit and nuts. Cherries are very sticky.


If you're thinking "why does the cake look slightly pink?" it's because I glazed it with strawberry jam. Ideally I would have liked apricot jam but we didn't have any in the house. I'm sure strawberry will taste fine.

We also put up our tree at the weekend! Usually we buy a 5ft-6ft tree but Mum fell in love with a 7ft tree this year which only just fits in the living room. It is a beauty though.


I've been solely in charge of decorating the tree for the past few years now which is great. I like the mixture of decorations we have on our tree: some old, some new, wooden shop bought ones and handmade pieces from family.



I made the circular decoration at the top of this photo. It's an old curtain ring wrapped with crepe paper and christmassy twirly ribbons, a cheap but cute decoration. I have another Christmassy post coming up this week with more crafty decorations along with my fudge post. Mmmm fudge.

8 comments:

  1. Aw your cake looks beautiful Jo, well done you!!
    The tree looks fab too, I wish we had a real one :(
    Looking forward to your fudge post...I must make some for Xmas pressies, not made it in a while xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks perfect. I take it that you'll be entering for 2012's Great British Bake Off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking cake which doesn't look pink at all to me. Love the tree too and the decorations look really nice. Look forward to your fudge post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum - the cake looks great, and your tree is so pretty! Love all the coloured lights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your decor! And fudge... I used to make up bags of fudge in a sweet shop, safe to say not all of them made it into the bags! :)

    Ooh also I did remember Jingle All The Way but I didnt really see it much as a kid, Arnie is one of those classic actors tho... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks folks! I'm very pleased with my tree and cake :) @VintageKnitter I'm afraid I'm nowhere near Bake Off standard. My pastry and bread making skills are non existent! I would love a go on their fancy kitchen aids though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just discovred your blog via flickr and see that your utility wasre passion matches mine! And yes I have some Iris! But I don't see it very often...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fruit cake turned out very lovely. I haven't had fruit cake in years, maybe I will have to try making one this year.

    ReplyDelete