Friday, 27 January 2012

Lemon drizzle traybake

I made this traybake last Sunday and it was a massive success with the family. Mary Berry has yet to fail me. There's a reason why she is the queen of baking. Despite having an unfounded distrust of the all-in-one mixing method, I did as I was told. What a beautiful result.


I think this has to be one of the fluffiest traybakes I've ever made. I bow down to your superior knowledge Mary Berry.


I loved how fuss free this recipe was, it was very quick and easy to make. Perfect for Sunday tea.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Lemon drizzle traybake
Recipe from Mary Berry's Baking Bible

225g (8oz) softened butter (I have a feeling I used margarine though)
225g (8oz) caster sugar
275g (10z) self-raising flour
2 level tsp baking powder
4 large eggs
4 tbsp milk
finely grated rind of 2 lemons

For the crunchy drizzle topping:
175g (6oz) granulated sugar
juice of 2 lemons

Preheat the oven to 160C/Fan 140C/Gas 3. Grease a 30 x 23cm (12 x 9 in) traybake or roasting tin then line the base with baking parchment. Measure all the ingredients for the traybake into a large bowl and beat until well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top gently with the back of the spatula. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and springs back when pressed in the centre with your fingertips. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out, carefullly peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack. Stand the wire rack on a tray to catch any drips of the topping.

To make the topping, mix the granulated sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl to give a runny consistency. Spoon this mixture evenly over the traybake while it is still a little warm. Cut into squares/slices when cold (I'll leave you to decide how big you want them!)

10 comments:

  1. Looks amazing!! Love Mary Berry too and especially the all in one method. Loving the teacup and plate too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! I love anything lemon..

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty pictures- the cake looks absolutely delectable! I too find Mary the Delia of the World of Cakes, follow the recipe and you have the perfect bake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm that looks delicious! I love Mary Berry and I love all of your china!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so moist and yummy! I love lemony things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so cheery for January! Looks very moreish, I love the moist texture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking cake, and may I compliment you on your pretty and elegant photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just popped over to say Hello, and now I am craving a piece of that lovely lemon cake...my fave :)thankyou for your lovely comment and wow I bet your 70's pink and red jars look a treat in that pattern! Have a lovely day x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute china and I so will attempt one day to cook a cake like this - (the only one I do is a chocolate one from a kit! ), x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're killing me with all these amazing drizzle cakes! Another one bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete