Monday, 30 April 2012

Chocolate layer birthday cake

It was my sister-in-law's birthday yesterday so I knew a special chocolate cake was in order. Instead of my usual chocolate recipe I tried a Primrose Bakery recipe (which can be found through Cupcake Crazy Gem and French For Cupcake) as I fancied trying a recipe which used real chocolate rather than cocoa powder.


Like Gem, I actually got three 20cm round cakes from the recipe instead of two, so it became a big chocolate layer cake! The rose swirls were piped on using a 1M Wilton nozzle, working the swirl from the inside outwards as I usually do with cupcakes. I had a bit of a problem piping my swirls on the side of the cake, so some of them are a bit botched, but I didn't feel it detracted from the overall effect.


The cake was quite heavy, but not in a bad sense, just super chocolatey, rich and moist. I used 74% cocoa Lidl chocolate, which I thought worked really well, and roughly based my main icing on the Hummingbird Bakery's chocolate buttercream. I made a raspberry buttercream (just ordinary buttercream with some sieved raspberries) to sandwich together the layers. It added a great contrasting colour as well as a slightly tart flavour to cut through the rich chocolate.


I don't think it is physically possible to eat a slice larger than this in one sitting. I felt myself sliding into a chocolate induced coma, but then again I had been heavily taste testing the chocolate and icing all day as well (please tell me that I'm not the only person who eats spoonfuls of icing!)


This cake recipe takes a bit of work (I think I used five different mixing bowls in total!) which I don't mind doing for a celebration cake or a treat as it is a beauty, but if I want quicker results or a lighter cake my usual chocolate cake is hard to beat. It's good to have options though.

I have a few more bakes to update from the last week or two so please bare with me whilst I organise myself! I'll hopefully post another bake later on in the week after you have some time to admire this cake. Mmmmm, I want another slice.

22 comments:

  1. that looks fab!

    and yes, i eat so much icing when i make a cake that i feel so sick, i often can't eat the cake its self ......well for a few hours anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the cake!! the rose swirls are so pretty and yes that is a huge slice of cake but please pass it over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, this is an absolutely gorgeous cake - I love the swirled roses. And yes, my name is Susie and I eat icing from the spoon ... :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this is gorgeous! Your swirls are beautiful :) I too am guilty of picking away at all the yummy baking bits and pieces - I shouldn't really keep any milk chocolate lying around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, is this actually real? I feel like I'm dreaming.
    You have serious talent!
    If you ever open up a cake shop I'll be your first customer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these sweet rose swirl cake! Looks stunning with fabulous flavor as well! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog last night. I can't remember how, but I spent some time last night looking back through your posts. WOW!! I thought you were talented when I saw what you had done last night, but this is incredible! An earlier commenter was right, you do have a serious talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those rose swirls are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks amazing! It was my birthday on Sunday too, if I had seen your post earlier I might have tried to make this as my birthday cake! Though someone just told me it's apparently bad luck to make your own birthday cake, oh well it's too late now... and I wouldn't let anyone else steal the glory of making my cake anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jo, your cake looks fab! Love the rose piping - very artistic! I've made the Primrose Bakery choc cake a good few times, it does take a bit of work but well worth it! I'm impressed you got three layers out of it, must try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this cake is all kinds of deliciousness! That primrose recipe is my go to chocolate cake recipe so I know just how good it tastes, glad you agree! and the fact that you paired it with raspberry buttercream - wow! I would love to try some of that! and the piped roses really make it striking! I'm sure your sister in law absolutely loved it! and I too eat so many spoonfuls of icing/cake batter throughout a morning of baking that usually by the time my bake is ready I'm too full to try it! I gave you some awards, head on over to my blog to see how to pass them along :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cake WAS delicious - thanks Johan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW This is absolutely stunning!! It just looks so moreish and delicious. My boyfriend saw it over my shoulder and demands I make it immediately!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cake looks incredible - I love how moist and rich it sounds! The piping is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fantastic! How did you create the rose swirls? With a lot of patience I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tweeted a link to this from my ipad last night, I love how you've piped the roses all over in buttercream, it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fab cake - love the rose swirls!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! This is stunning! I absolutely love the contrast of the pink, so amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm, I love this cake and that piping looks excellent to me. I'm trying not to look at the photos too much though as they're making my mouth water and I'm on a diet...damn you Dukan Diet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for all the amazing comments. If I could I'd give you all a slice of cake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing, I love rose swirls and raspberry buttercream sounds scrumpcious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The rose effect piping is gorgeous, might have to steal that idea next time I'm doing a cake! I've done it on cupcakes but not full on cakes, it's a stunning effect. Love the pinky buttercream against the cake aswell.

    ReplyDelete