On fashion/lifestyle blogs you're bound to find a few "what's in my bag?" posts, so I thought as a baking blogger I should start a "what's in my baking cupboard?" trend.
So, what's in my baking cupboard?
My baking cupboard had a good spring clean last week. Everything is arranged so that it makes sense to me and I decanted some ingredients in to the many jars I've been collecting. Everything looks prettier in labelled jars :)
My most used ingredients (plain flour, self-raising flour and caster sugar) are stored in big ice-cream tubs. The next most used ingredients are in jars and the rest are separated in to other ice cream tubs. Also on the top shelf are my two most used baking bowls, scales, my trusty little food mixer and a stash of cling film and foil.
On the bottom shelf, the big tub on the far left stores mostly smaller tubs like spices, sprinkles, baking powder, glace cherries etc. My chocolate stash is behind it (I have to hide it or it will get eaten) as well as spare baking bowls. In the middle are food colouring, vanilla extract, almond essence bottles and my tub of cake cases. I think I'll need to put a temporary ban on buying cupcake cases as my tub is rather full at the moment.
In the pink tubs are biscuit cutters and stamps (flowers, teapots, dinosaurs, farm animals.... the usual) and some piping nozzles. Word of advice: don't leave your plastic tubs next to your gas hob because they will melt. (As you can tell I'm a classy lady who patched up the melty hole with masking tape.) The big tub at the back of the cupboard is mostly "miscellaneous" stuff such as baking beans, piping bags, candles and paint brushes for cake decorating.
In the pink tubs are biscuit cutters and stamps (flowers, teapots, dinosaurs, farm animals.... the usual) and some piping nozzles. Word of advice: don't leave your plastic tubs next to your gas hob because they will melt. (As you can tell I'm a classy lady who patched up the melty hole with masking tape.) The big tub at the back of the cupboard is mostly "miscellaneous" stuff such as baking beans, piping bags, candles and paint brushes for cake decorating.
I feel lucky to have a spacious double cupboard for most of my baking supplies (tins and trays are in another cupboard). It was really frustrating moving to halls for my first year at university as I went from this to squashing everything onto one little shelf. Naturally, I bought less savoury food so I could fit all my important baking stuff in.
Hope you enjoyed the tour and didn't bore you to tears. Please don't judge me on the amount of ice-cream tubs I own. They have been collected over years, I don't eat an unholy amount of ice-cream (although I could....)
Hope you enjoyed the tour and didn't bore you to tears. Please don't judge me on the amount of ice-cream tubs I own. They have been collected over years, I don't eat an unholy amount of ice-cream (although I could....)
What's in your baking cupboard? Feel free to do a similar post and link back to me.
This is a fantastic idea Jo! It's always nice to have an invitation to nosy! I will give this a go at the weekend (if anyone's interested) and link back. I love your organisation! Happy baking! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! Yes, go for it! I would enjoy a nosy around your baking cupboard.
DeleteHave added a post in now, Jo - hope you like it. I've linked back to you, so hope that works. Sadly, it probably confirms that I'm obsessive, compulsive but definitely not disordered! :) http:www.foldintheflour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/my-baking-cupboard.html
DeleteYour baking cupboard is so neat and organised! Mine's a complete mess and 1 cupboard is not enough. I have stuff everywhere including the living room as I have nowhere else to put my baking tins!
ReplyDeleteThat must be so frustrating! Although maybe it inspires you to bake lots as you're constantly surrounded by baking equipment?
DeleteMy baking tins are stacked (in a mess) in another cupboard. I frequently cause tin avalanches when I go in there.
Wow - how tidy! Wish my cupboards were as neat as that!
ReplyDeleteLiz @ Shortbread & Ginger
Thanks, although they aren't always this neat! I give myself a month before it's in a mess again. I really should have done a "before" and "after" shot!
DeleteWow so organised..i love being able to have a nosy! We're hoping to move house soon and the house we're going to has a big under stairs space in the kitchen - i have plans to put shelves in and turn it into a big pantry/baking cupboard...cant wait!!
ReplyDeleteA big baking pantry/cupboard sounds brilliant, you'll have to take photographs of it when it's all set up.
DeleteGosh that's neat! I have about 3 cupboards full of baking stuff and however often I tidy them they turn back into a tip in about 30 seconds!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure someone sneaks into my cupboard and makes a mess of it, I never understand how it gets so disorganised so soon after tidying it!
DeleteYou are so organised, Jo - you put my kitchen cupboards to shame!
ReplyDeleteSlightly envious of your extremely organised baking cupboard! Definitely makes me want to start baking (as well as tidying) :)
ReplyDeleteLovely post! I'm relieved to see I'm not the only person who organises their stuff in labelled plastic boxes!! I would definitely like to do a post about my baking cupboards although I might need a mini-series!!
ReplyDeleteLovely idea for a post Jo. I'm very impressed with you having a baking cupboard and love the way you have organised it - I just have stuff everywhere and it's not all in the kitchen as I don't have the space.
ReplyDeleteI love this! oh the organization is beautiful! im glad im not the only neat freak out there. i feel you pain with the moving to uni halls and not having any space - i had the same problem and throughout my second and third years my housemates used to make me keep the stuff in my room so there was more room! now in my 4th year i have a big box of stuff for baking and decorating which has to sit in the hallway because of the tiny kitchen. thank you for the invitation to nosy around - it is always great to see behind the scenes as it were - i will try and do a similar post soon and link up too x
ReplyDeleteGreat post, I added a whole new baking cupboard page to my blog a few weeks back because a post I had done years ago with pictures of my baking cupboard on was getting so much traffic! If you follow me in reader you should pop on over to my blog to check it out. I also wrote a list of essential baking items I think every budding baker should have - feel free to add to it if you think I've missed anything! I am hoping one day my baking cupboard will progress to a baking wall where I can have everything beautifully organised! Good call on the buying less savoury stuff when you were at Uni to fit all your baking stuff in , love it!
ReplyDeleteI think you are actually my soul sister! I am 23, obsessed by baking and anything associated with it! I too am also dying for a kitchenaid..... I would possibly sell a kidney for one! I love your organisation and your blog is brilliant! I intend to continue following your kitchen related escapades!
ReplyDeleteCan't belive how neat this is! You shoudl see mine ven afetr a cupboard sort last weekend.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea, in fact, I've seen a couple today as I'm catching up on everything so reckon you have indeed sparked a trend! Love your baking cupboard, it's so neat and organised! I don't think I'd be able to do this myself as I can't open my baking cupboard without something falling out, it really is embarrassing!
ReplyDelete