This week I felt like baking a different banana loaf to my usual go-to recipe. After discovering I didn't have enough bananas for other recipes in my baking books I consulted the queen of banana related bakes, Ros, The More Than Occasional Baker.
I had to tweak a couple of ingredients to suit what I had, but I was very impressed with this cake. Definitely a banana loaf to bake again. I love the smooth texture you get with adding yoghurt to a cake.
The only problem I encountered was that half of the cake had been eaten by the time I got round to photographing it! It's more of a compliment than a problem though.
Since I tweaked some ingredients I'll rewrite the recipe, although Ros' original can be found here.
Banana and yoghurt loaf
120ml sunflower oil
150g light muscovado sugar
75g light soft brown sugar
3 duck eggs
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon of ground mixed spice
2 ripe bananas
150ml low fat natural yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Pour the oil into a large bowl, add the sugar and whisk for a few minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking as you go, then stir in the flour and mixed spice. Peel and mash the bananas in a separate bowl and add them to the mixture along with the yoghurt. Mix well with a spoon and then pour into the prepared tin.
Bake for 1 hour until well risen and golden (or check by sticking a skewer/knife into the centre of the cake. The cake is ready if the skewer comes out clean). I think my cake took an extra 10 minutes in the oven. Leave in the tin to cool then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
The only problem I encountered was that half of the cake had been eaten by the time I got round to photographing it! It's more of a compliment than a problem though.
Since I tweaked some ingredients I'll rewrite the recipe, although Ros' original can be found here.
Banana and yoghurt loaf
120ml sunflower oil
150g light muscovado sugar
75g light soft brown sugar
3 duck eggs
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon of ground mixed spice
2 ripe bananas
150ml low fat natural yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Pour the oil into a large bowl, add the sugar and whisk for a few minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking as you go, then stir in the flour and mixed spice. Peel and mash the bananas in a separate bowl and add them to the mixture along with the yoghurt. Mix well with a spoon and then pour into the prepared tin.
Bake for 1 hour until well risen and golden (or check by sticking a skewer/knife into the centre of the cake. The cake is ready if the skewer comes out clean). I think my cake took an extra 10 minutes in the oven. Leave in the tin to cool then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.


Mmmmm I love banana loaf! Never made it myself but whenever my mum has made it, it's gone within a few hours! I don't think she puts yoghurt in it though, but yours looks sooo tasty.
ReplyDelete& thanks for the tip on how to make the cakes rise! & yessss I am definitely still using your marble cake recipe for my birthday haha (I have it bookmarked on my laptop)! So I'll make sure I use that tip as well when I make it. Got over a month yet but I'll work on my cake baking skills before I make that one! Thanks again xx
Banana bread is sooo good - and I love the sound of your take on it!
ReplyDeleteThis looks amazing...I think I will have to make your recipe. I love banana bread. Sending you some "happy" for a wonderful weekend.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the mention *blush* :) when I first saw the title I thought ooh another banana recipe to add to my collection! I love what you're done with it and it looks delicious - ill have to try it myself :) I just made more banana bread recently with peanut butter and nutella!! Will be on blog soon-ish. Have a great weekend x
ReplyDeleteYum. I always say that the cake that doesn't make it to the photos must be a very fine cake indeed!
ReplyDeleteMy man loves banana cake and I don't make it nearly enough.
ReplyDeleteI love this twist on banana cake. It looks delicious - so moist!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recipe - I'll have to try this one out on my new gadget!
ReplyDeleteI must make this for my hubby as it's his favourite.If I used hen's eggs instead,would it still be three? :0)
ReplyDelete