Last Friday was spent baking with my two best friends. (How on earth did a week pass so quickly?!)Our bake-athons don't happen very often anymore, due to us being boring adults living in different places, but they are still fun when they do happen.
Apologies for the photo quality. These were all taken with my phone.
This is a classic compromise cake. Chocolate or vanilla? Both! Pink or chocolate icing? Both! Marshmallows, chocolate stars or Barbie sprinkles for decoration? CHUCK IT ALL ON!
We also baked some marshmallow cupcakes from the first Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook. The melted marshmallow for the cupcake centre is the most unruly thing I've ever worked with. It was near impossible to put it inside the cupcake so we gave up after a four and put jam in the rest. Half the batch were finished with pink vanilla butter icing and marshmallows and the rest were covered with a layer of marzipan.
I love how it looks like a plain chocolate cake, but all is revealed when you cut into it.
There's always something exciting about a marble cake because you can never really predict how the marbled effect will turn out. Well, I find it exciting. Maybe I don't get out enough?(!)
We enjoyed a slice of cake each after dinner with a cuppa.
I enjoyed our marble cake so much that I made another one this week at home. Unfortunately it got devoured before my camera got anywhere near it.
Chocolate and vanilla marble cake
We used the one-weight method for our cake where the weight of the eggs are equal to the weight of the butter, sugar and self-raising flour . We used three eggs which weighed roughly 175g/6oz so that was our weight for everything else.
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and grease and line two 7 inch tins. Creamed the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then gradually added the eggs and fold in the flour. Divide the mixture into two bowls, adding cocoa powder (to taste) to one half and a few drops of vanilla extract to the other half. Add a small amount of milk to the chocolate mixture to slacken it after adding the cocoa powder. Haphazardly dollop the mixtures alternately into the two tins and bake them in the centre of the oven for roughly 20-25 minutes until springy to touch. Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Once cool, sandwich the sponges together with vanilla butter icing and ice the top layer with chocolate butter icing. Decorate with marshmallows, sprinkles or whatever you fancy!




:O I need this cake. I think I have found my 18th birthday cake! Oh my gosh I am so baking this for myself at some point.
ReplyDeleteThat is my ideal cake!
Marble cake = amazing.
Sprinkles = amazing.
Marshmallows = AMAZING!
Sorry may have got a little overexcited at this post but I've been looking for birthday cake inspiration!
Thanks so so so much for posting, I cannot even express how giddy this post has made me.
xxx
Thanks Jazz, glad you love it. It would definitely make a brilliant birthday cake. The more sprinkles and marshmallows the better!
DeleteI'm making it in a bit!! So excited, hope it turns out like yours!
DeleteThese look fab, as ever! I love the idea of marshmmallow in cake, or on cake, but haven't tried it yet. Hopefully, I'll feel brave at some point to give it a go. Anyway, these look delicious and I bet you enjoyed them after all your fun making them! :)
ReplyDeleteOh we did! Although we were so full of cake that we had to leave the cupcakes for a couple of hours.
DeleteThe marshmallow cupcakes are AMAZING, but even my sweet tooth was a little daunted by how sugary they were. Have you tried baking a whole marshmallow inside a cupcake? I'm intrigued as to how that would turn out, and whether it would be a simpler way of getting the whole marshmallowy goodness effect x
ReplyDeleteYes, the marshmallow cupcakes are insanely sweet! I think the cupcake sponge itself was perhaps too sweet for a plain vanilla sponge.
DeleteI wouldn't advise cooking a marshmallow inside a cupcake. I tried it once last year and it left crater type holes in my poor cupcakes. The rest of the sponge was fine so I think I just filled them chocolate butter icing!
Marble cake is pretty much my favourite cake but my gripe with it is is always looks a bit dull, all browns and creams... but I love how you've jazzed it up with marshmallows and pink awesomeness in the middle!
ReplyDelete