I'm getting so behind with posting.... again. This was actually baked a day or so after the macarons, which were also posted a week late. Must do better!
I spotted a few of these marble loaves around the blogosphere as part of the Weekly Bake Off a while ago and quickly bookmarked it. Disappointly my marbling didn't work particularly well. I alternated layers of the mixtures as I filled the tin, hoping it would create a jazzy zebra effect but it didn't work at all. Any tips?
I spotted a few of these marble loaves around the blogosphere as part of the Weekly Bake Off a while ago and quickly bookmarked it. Disappointly my marbling didn't work particularly well. I alternated layers of the mixtures as I filled the tin, hoping it would create a jazzy zebra effect but it didn't work at all. Any tips?
The cake was also on the dry side but I think that was entirely my fault as it was left in the oven for too long (darn internet distractions!)
On the plus side the fudgy icing was amazing! My mum used to put similar icing on chocolate cakes when I was little. It's so good it could probably be eaten on its own. So be warned, you may want to make a double batch ;)
You should also double the amount of white chocolate for the zig zag decoration as you may find yourself eating large spoonfuls of it. It is white chocolate after all...
The recipe can be found here if you fancy having a go. I definitely want to have another shot at achieving the zebra marble effect.
On a completely different topic, how amazing has Team GB been at the Olympics this weekend? Even as a massive Roger Federer fan, I could not have been more delighted for Andy Murray today.




Oh, sorry to hear about this - I did this cake for the Weekly Bake Off and it was lovely. I got the impression though that it can be a temperamental recipe. I think your marbling looks pretty good even if it's not quite what you were after. :)
ReplyDeleteI have a marble cake in the oven as I type and I was just debating whether to top with glace icing or something chocolatey, and this has sealed it for me, choc all the way! I wouldn't worry about posting late, my delay is counted in months!
ReplyDeleteYum! Your icing looks great, the swirl makes it look so pretty :)
ReplyDeleteLove the fact your icing reflects the marble swirl in the cake too! This looks super yummy!
ReplyDeleteLove the white chocolate pattern on this cake - you know how I love simple but effective decorations! Also realised I have never made a marble cake before which I feel is a classic you must try! It doesn't look dry at all in fact I want some now.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely loved Murray winning! Bless him, I think he really needed the confidence boost. He did great!
That looks gorgeous - love the zigzag topping!
ReplyDeleteHave you seen the photo ANdy Murray posted of his dogs wearing his olympic medals? So cute!
The marbling on your cake looks very effective and the drizzled top makes it extra special.
ReplyDeleteI still have posts from last year waiting to be written or published, so your only one week behind sounds very reasonable.
I'm really slow with posting and blog reading as well. Decided to catch up on a few blogs tonight. I've not made many marbled loaves and would love to give this a go. I usually use a toothpick or knife edge to create swirls but they are hit and miss. Love the icing here!
ReplyDeleteI think i might need to bake this pretty damn soon! marble cakes always taste so much more distinctive than any other cake.
ReplyDeletelove the zig zag effect x