This is summer in cake form. It's the sort of cake I can imagine eating outside in the sunshine, probably whilst swatting flies away and running away from bumble bees, but that destroys the dreamy picnic image.
This is a zingy, juicy, refreshing cake. I loved the combination of fruity flavours: sharp bursts of raspberry, sweet hits of blueberry and tangy lime.
Surprising for some perhaps, but I've never baked with limes before! If you're not such a fan of lemon drizzle, you may actually prefer lime as it has the tang but without such a sharp, sour hit as lemon.
Only three berries managed to stay near the surface of this cake! The rest all sank to the bottom, despite coating them in flour before adding to the batter, but thankfully they didn't form a soggy mush.
This is definitely on the to-bake-again list, I love a good drizzle cake! The recipe can be found here on BBC Good Food. My changes to the recipe were:
This is definitely on the to-bake-again list, I love a good drizzle cake! The recipe can be found here on BBC Good Food. My changes to the recipe were:
I baked the cake in a 9" round cake tin instead of a 8" square.
I only added 1-2 tbsp of lime juice to the batter as I felt it already had a good dropping consistency.
I only had three limes so was a couple of tablespoons short of juice for the syrup but I was perfectly happy with my results so I don't think an extra is necessary.
On a separate note, is anyone else experiencing problems uploading photographs to Blogger? After reading advice on the troubleshooting section I disabled pop-ups on Blogger which allowed me to upload this post but it still put up a fight. ARGH! Technology.
On a separate note, is anyone else experiencing problems uploading photographs to Blogger? After reading advice on the troubleshooting section I disabled pop-ups on Blogger which allowed me to upload this post but it still put up a fight. ARGH! Technology.




Absolutely anything with lime gets a thumbs up from me! but raspberry and lime? yum that sounds like a heavenly combination!
ReplyDeleteThis does sound very summery. I love raspberries and blueberries and adding lime can only make them better! Looks a lovely cake :)
ReplyDeleteOh wow, this looks and sounds amazing! I LOVE raspberries - sooo yummy!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Great seasonal combo! YUM! :)
ReplyDeleteHello Jo, me again!
ReplyDeleteJust popped by to let you know I have passed on a blogging award to you.
Check http://foldintheflour.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-abc-award.html for the details.
Hope you join in the fun!
All the best,
Susie
Oooooo those flavours sound delicious!!! I might have to try a lime drizzle and I'm all for berries in cakes!! This looks yummy!! :-) P.s you'd be more than welcome to enter it into our Calendar Cakes challenge as the theme is British Summertime and this definitely fits the bill!! :-)
ReplyDeleteoh, this is my sort of cake - I love the golden top and that lovely crumb. Yum.
ReplyDeleteLimes are where it's at! I love me a lime drizzle cake - think there is a coconut & lime drizzle cake on Good Food which is also very nice. Sounds lovely with raspberries though, might have to try it!
ReplyDeleteThis looks so delightful. Perfect for an afternoon tea with the gal pals! At least...that's how I imagine having it!
ReplyDeletexo,
nancy
This looks like my kind of cake! I love berries. I recently discovered a method to prevent the berries sinking - press them in by hand before baking.
ReplyDelete