Last week I found this pressed glass pedestal cake stand in the charity shop. With its fluted edge and yellow rose pattern, it was begging for a fresh, sunshine bake. As it is quite a small cake stand, I decided it had to be biscuits.
Some may be horrified that I've never worked with passionfruit before. I've had drinks and eaten cake containing passionfruit, but I've never physically handled one! Clearly I lead a sheltered existence.
I love how all the flavours come through in the biscuit: zingy lemon
zest and passionfruit pulp, sweet golden syrup and rich butter.
The passionfruit seeds add a bit of crunch too, which I always enjoy in a biscuit.
Then there's the passionfruit buttercream which can only be described as
sweet sunshine. I may have eaten four of these in one sitting....
Bake these zingy biscuits if you're feeling miserable or fed up with the cold winter weather. They will make you happy :)
Passionfruit cream biscuits
Recipe from Lakeland Cupcakes and Cookies
125g butter, softened
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
75g caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
150g self-raising flour
100g plain flour
60ml passionfruit pulp
2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp
90g butter, softened
160g icing sugar
Beat the butter, lemon rind and sugar in a bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add golden syrup and beat together. Stir in the flours and passionfruit pulp. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Cut dough in half; roll each portion between sheets of baking parchment to 5mm thickness. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan/Gas 3. Grease oven trays and line with baking parchment. Cut 25 4cm fluted rounds from each portion of dough and place about 2.5cm apart on trays. Bake for about 10 minutes in the oven until light golden (mine took about 15 minutes). Cool on the trays.
For the buttercream, strain the passionfruit pulp through a sieve into a small jug and discard the seeds. Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the passionfruit juice. Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with 5mm fluted nozzle (I used a wilton 1M). Pipe the cream onto half the biscuits and then place the other biscuits on top.
Note: You will need about 6 passionfruits in total.
I think I made 30 in total as opposed to 25 which meant I didn't quite have enough icing so I made an extra quarter of the icing quantity.



Jo, these sound amazing! I adore passion fruit...it's one of my favourite fruits and I'm drooling just at the thought of how tasty they sound! definitely what's needed on a rainy winters day!
ReplyDeleteI've never touched a passion fruit either, I love the flavour but I've never physically dealt with one. A bright sunny bake like this is just what's needed for this weather. I love the cake stand and tablecloth :)
ReplyDeletethese biscuits look wonderful, and your photographs are so lovely. I like the sound of the passionfruit buttercream. Yum! xxx
ReplyDeleteps: your cake stand is such a brilliant charity shop find. It's beautiful. x
ReplyDeleteI really need to STOP looking at your blog at lunch time!!! it always makes me want your yummies, instead of my attempt-at-being-healthy-in-the-new-year banana or yougurt!!!
ReplyDeleteI DO love to look and dream, though!!! ;-)
Carly
x
They sound delicious and I love the cakestand too!
ReplyDeleteLiz @ Shortbread & Ginger
I love passion fruits - I always used to treat myself to a pack of 2 and a big bar of white chocolate after the orthodontist: a delicious combination! These biscuits look perfect, I like how they have proper passion fruit flavour in the biscuits as well as the buttercream.
ReplyDeleteThey look delicious! :) x
ReplyDeleteThey sound wonderful.
ReplyDeleteWhat glorious cheery happy sounding biscuits! I adore the flavour of passion fruit! lovely lovely recipe...
ReplyDeleteI've never used passionfruit either, and I've had a few passionfruit recipes bookmarked for a while. Now I have another :) Lovely photos!
ReplyDeleteYour biscuits look beautiful - the stand is great too. I've never baked with passion fruit because it's a rare thing...a fruit I don't like!
ReplyDeleteOh yes Jo, your biscuits look the business. I love passionfruit, but have never had them in homemade biscuit form - this needs to be rectified and soon. Your plate stand is rather gorgeous too.
ReplyDeleteHello Jo, I was looking for an email address to contact you as I see you are a tea lover and wondered if you'd like to receive some Whittard teas to either review or cook with? There are so many tempting treats on your blog, very prettily presented too. If you would like to get in touch please email hannah.ballantyne@whittard.co.uk
ReplyDeleteWow, your biscuits look lush and the styling is brilliant too. So, when are you sending off your application for this year's Great British Bake Off? You'd certainly give the other competitors a run for their money in the baking rounds! :-)
ReplyDeleteHi Jo,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment! I didn't get an email from you...I've checked my junk mail too but can't see it, can you resend? My email is gemahogan@hotmail.com just incase! (One M in my email addy)
P.S your cake stand is lovely, and I am in love with your embroidered tablecloth too - where did you find that beauty?!! Lovely!! Xxx