Hello, remember me?
Apologies for my disappearance. I did absolutely no baking last month (I know, I'm as shocked as you). Life and lack of internet connection for 3 weeks (thanks BT) left me feeling too tired to bake or blog.

Apologies for my disappearance. I did absolutely no baking last month (I know, I'm as shocked as you). Life and lack of internet connection for 3 weeks (thanks BT) left me feeling too tired to bake or blog.

Does anyone else feel a weird sense of responsibility to their blog in terms of maintaining standards and keeping an "online presence"? I know it's largely self imposed, as we can do whatever we want within our own blogspaces, but I felt really guilty for not updating or replying/commenting on other blogs. I've also been aware for a while that I should make a few little changes here, but the thought of doing anything extra makes me want to stick my head in a bucket full of sand as there are so many other things I need to be getting on with at the moment.
However I am back, with cupcakes (yay!), and have been gradually catching up with everything online over the last week. I had forgotten how good chocolate sponge batter tastes. It's the best! The mixture uses cocoa powder as opposed to real chocolate, but it still produces a cupcake with a satisfying chocolatey punch.
However I am back, with cupcakes (yay!), and have been gradually catching up with everything online over the last week. I had forgotten how good chocolate sponge batter tastes. It's the best! The mixture uses cocoa powder as opposed to real chocolate, but it still produces a cupcake with a satisfying chocolatey punch.
I baked these last week as I wanted to try out my new(ish) Lakeland cupcakes cases and show off my new cake stand which matches one of my sets of china. I don't think it's an exact match as the cups and saucers are fine bone china whereas the cake stand plates are quite chunky, but it's close enough to be pretty and only cost a fiver.
I'm very impressed with the cupcake cases. They kept their colour and pattern really well, and that's with a chocolate batter! You know you're a little sad when you're impressed with the standard of cupcake cases, but it's so annoying to find a pretty case only to discover the pattern disappears or the colours go transparent once baked. Anyone else find that disappointing?
Chocolate cupcakes
175g Stork margarine
150g caster sugar
25g soft light brown sugar (I fancied adding a bit of brown sugar, might put more in next time. As long as the overall sugar weight is 175g)
3 eggs (weighing roughly 175g)
150g self-raising flour
25g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp milk
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and line cupcakes tin with cases. Beat margarine and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Sift together the flour and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture, lightly beating between each addition, adding a tablespoon of the flour mixture with the last egg to prevent the mixture curdling. Mix in the remaining flour, vanilla extract and milk until the mixture is fully combined. Be careful not to overmix though as you don't want to beat all the air out the mixture, just make sure it no longer looks streaky with cocoa powder.
Fill the cupcake cases 2/3 full. The mixture should stretch to roughly 15 cupcakes. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Fill the cupcake cases 2/3 full. The mixture should stretch to roughly 15 cupcakes. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
For the icing I followed the Hummingbird Bakery's chocolate buttercream and piped as swirls (working from the centre outwards) using a Wilton 1M nozzle.




Well they look delicious! Sometimes it's good to have a break from blogging, help you put other things in your life into perspective! Anyway, welcome back! :) x
ReplyDeleteThey look gorgeous jo! I love me some pretty cupcakes.Nice piping the rose is a fave of mine. your pics+ china gorgeous :)
ReplyDeleteMy Cupcake Habit
Great looking cupcakes, also love the tea set - very pretty :)
ReplyDeleteAs usual your cake presentation and photographs are gorgeous. The cupcakes look delicious too. I too get annoyed when a lovely cupcake case pre-baking become bland and boring when baked. Yours look lovely.
ReplyDeleteStacey
xx
I was starting to wonder where you'd got to - I was looking on your profile recently to see if you had an email address or anything to check all was well! I completely know what you mean about the 'pressure to maintain' and be involved with other blogs. It's something I've always struggled with myself. I see all these other blogs getting 20+ comments per post, nominated for countless awards, shooting up the foodies 100 (I don't even know why I registered for that - sucker!) and sent bucketloads of stuff to review/giveaway and wonder what I'm doing wrong or why people stop commenting. The first time I did a product review I felt like a massive sellout and even though I've done a few since I always feel a bit guilty. But then I thought, well I spend a lot of time and energy blogging so why shouldn't I get a little reward every once in a while, and as long as it's something I would genuinely use/like to try, then screw it why the hell not! A while ago I made a decision to stop commenting on EVERYTHING I followed and just comment on posts that after reading them I felt I had something to say (becuase it was just so hard to keep up with!). And it's funny how I noticed a few people stopped commenting on my blog and never came back. Sometimes I wonder if I should share more about myself/my life on my blog in case everyone thinks I am some vapid person who floats around in Cath Kidston clothing making cakes all day, but often when I do share personal stuff or try to inject some humour it's mostly overlooked and people just leave a comment saying 'looks delicious' so I suspect they don't even read the posts properly. Which is fine I guess - I doubt people read baking blogs for wit or personality! Anyway I'm ranting now - beautiful cupcakes by the way, sometimes it's great to go 'back to basics' with plain old chocolate, you forget how good it tastes! I bought those exact cases from Lakeland last week along with a tube of the block colour ones - I find their cases the best for keeping the colours.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for that rant, when I clicked 'publish' I realised how big it was! I'd just read another post with blog disillusionment and I was kind of in the zone!
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to shake my computer and shout "HURRAAAAAY" when I read your comment, I agree with absolutely everything! I have also noticed a few ranting posts about blogging recently so it's good to know we're all in the same boat.
DeleteOh good, was starting to feel guilty about hijacking your blog to whinge on. Yep, definitely a lot of blog disillusionment at the moment. Feel free to email me if you ever fancy getting anything off your chest :)
DeleteI know just what you mean about blog guilt having had several longer than expected breaks myself, but its good to have you back! You can never go wrong with chocolate, plus the cases are so pretty! I feel another Lakeland splurge coming on...
ReplyDelete