Friday, 22 March 2013

Passionfruit white chocolate cake

When I bought myself a copy of the new Clandestine Cake Club book a couple of weeks ago I immediately knew I had to make this cake. Not only does it involve my new found love for passionfruit but also my long term love for white chocolate. And I got to make curd!


The cake did not disappoint; it tasted absolutely gorgeous. The sponge was light and juicy, and white chocolate butter icing with passionfruit curd whipped through it might just be my favourite new icing. The zingy-ness of the passionfruit with the sweetness of the chocolate is such a great pairing.


I used duck eggs in my cake and curd and I'm sure it made them extra sunshiney and yellow, although perhaps not as radioactive as my photographs may suggest (damn night time light!) My friend and I baked in the evening and decided to enjoy the cake as late night elevenses, the best kind of elevenses if you ask me!


The original recipe comes from the creative chocolate fiend Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog which she baked for her first CCC event. If you haven't visited Choclette before then I highly recommend you do. The recipe is more or less a victoria sponge with the addition of two tablespoons of passionfruit curd and a tablespoon of lemon juice so I won't type it out. However I will direct you over to the Chocolate Log Blog for the passionfruit curd recipe. It is the brightest, happiest curd you'll ever set eyes on. I may have made a little extra just to eat from the jar...

10 comments:

  1. Oo wow this cake looks good! Sounds like an interesting combination and love the sprinkles! I really need to get a copy of this book...a lady at my work was telling me about it. I'm sure she said she contributed a recipe to it too.
    Cat x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody hell this looks good! Like really good! Yum.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing - really yummy. Loving the cake stand and crockery, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks so good - it combines two of my favourite ingredients! The passion fruit curd sounds incredible - it's making me long for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using duck eggs - there's something quirky about them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the ringing endorsement Jo, so glad it worked and that you liked it. Your cake looks absolutely splendid and I love the yellowness of it all. Your cake stand looks rather good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aah Jo this passionfruit caKE LOOK AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great colour! Sounds like a gorgeous cake, I still haven't baked with passionfruit but it is definitely on the list. I'm seeing lots of good things about the CCC cookbook too, will have to get my hands on a copy pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curd AND passionfruit? what a winner! This cake screams sunshine and springtime and I think it's calling out to me for me to bake it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds AMAZING!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete