This was a "I need to use stuff up before they go
completely out of date" loaf. A bit of an experiment so not completely successful.
This loaf was delicious fresh from the oven. Although I don't think the strawberry flavour in the yoghurt contributed much, the roasted strawberries on the top were delicious. Roasting strawberries most definitely enhances their sweet flavour (believe the hype folks!) and they made what's usually a plain banana loaf look very pretty.
However the loaf went really soggy the following day. I'm pretty sure it was cool before I closed it in a tin, but it went really sticky and heavy in texture (too much moisture from the yoghurt and strawberries perhaps?)
I also seem to struggle with yoghurt in cakes. I can
pretty much guarantee that whenever I use it, it makes my cake sink about half an hour
after coming out the oven, despite knowing that my cake is fully baked. Is it to do with the heavier texture they create? I have no idea. Oddly, this doesn't seem to happen when I use it in muffins.
Banana strawberry yoghurt loaf
Adapted from this recipe I used last year.
120ml sunflower oil
225g light muscovado sugar
3.5 (ish) medium eggs (I didn't have 3 large eggs)
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 brown bananas
125ml tub of strawberry yoghurt
50-75g strawberries, sliced finely and given a light coating in flour.
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Pour the oil into a large bowl, add the sugar and whisk for a few minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking as you go, then stir in the flour and mixed spice. Peel and mash the bananas in a separate bowl and add them to the mixture along with the yoghurt. Mix well with a spoon and pour half of the mixture into the prepared tin. Arrange a layer of strawberry slices on top and pour the rest of the mixture on top. Arrange the remaining strawberry slices into a pretty pattern on top before baking on the middle shelf of the oven
Bake for roughly 1 hour until well risen and golden (or check by sticking a skewer/knife into the centre of the cake. The cake is ready if the skewer comes out clean). Leave in the tin to cool then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.




What a brilliant idea to add strawberries - for flavour AND prettiness!!! That's one to try out, for sure......
ReplyDeleteCarly
x
Thanks, it may have worked better with drier strawberries. Mine were getting a bit old and soggy!
DeleteWell, it looks good to me. On the yogurt front though, try this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10860/easy-vanilla-cake
ReplyDeleteIt is THE best vanilla cake and has never failed me. In fact, both by Nanna and Dad said it was the best vanilla cake they had ever eaten (and my Nanna is 90!)
Brilliant, thanks! I'll check it out.
DeleteI love banana cakes and this look absolutely delicious!!look moist is by the yogurt too? I think so!
ReplyDeleteThanks, it was very moist. Possibly a little to moist though!
DeleteThis looks delicious! As you know I love banana bread and made a similar banana and strawberry loaf once. I do remember it being quite wet and sticky but delicious all the same.
ReplyDeleteYes very wet and sticky, but definitely a lovely combination of flavours.
DeleteThat looks so tasty. I love banana bread and with added strawberries it sounds even more delicious. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you too well.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I think it's something which could be tweaked and improved next time.
DeleteI think cakes with a lot of fruit can sometimes get a bit wet - which I don't mind, but Mr CC hates. Hence, he never understands why I get cross when he takes a bite of something and says, "this is lovely - it's so dry!".
ReplyDeleteI suppose that's the risk you run with fruity bakes, especially berries. But when it works it's so good!
DeleteI love roasted anything but strawberries have to be up there in my favourites!
ReplyDeleteMaria xxx
I can't believe I hadn't roasted strawberries before. I love how it intensified the flavour.
DeleteWhat a lovely bake! I never considered popping roasted strawberries in banana bread - genius!
ReplyDeleteThanks Lauren :)
DeleteI haven't roasted strawberries before either! Clearly I haven't lived! I had a similar experience with a rhubarb loaf at the weekend, it went so soggy the next day, I was really disappointed. The cake looks great studded with strawberries, great late summer bake!
ReplyDelete