On Saturday night I went into town, just like all the other cool, young people. Except I went to the supermarket. To buy cake ingredients. Then I visited my brother's family and told my nephews bedtime stories about Sonic the Hedgehog and Minecraft (I don't understand Minecraft.) Later on I baked this red velvet cake.
Living life on the edge, people.
I've never baked a red velvet cake before although I baked red velvet cupcakes way back in my early days of blogging. Although my cake is more dark pink than deep red I was very pleased with it. The sponge is very light and soft in texture due to the buttermilk, and lightly flavoured with cocoa and vanilla. The vanilla cream cheese icing adds to the overall indulgent, creamy flavour.
I've never baked a red velvet cake before although I baked red velvet cupcakes way back in my early days of blogging. Although my cake is more dark pink than deep red I was very pleased with it. The sponge is very light and soft in texture due to the buttermilk, and lightly flavoured with cocoa and vanilla. The vanilla cream cheese icing adds to the overall indulgent, creamy flavour.
The cake also gave me an opportunity to try out my new icing pen kindly gifted from British bakeware company, Tala. As the cake wasn't for anybody in particular, I doodled the word "yum" and some love hearts around the border. I drew it all freehand but I think the direct, unmeasured approach adds charm. It makes a fun change from my usual "throw on a pile of sprinkles" approach to cake decorating.
I already own a larger icing syringe but for smaller, linear details such as handwriting the pen is perfect. Plus it's pink and packaged in a pretty tin which is a lovely stylish touch. I suspect it'll come in very handy for decorating gingerbread men at Christmas. Thanks Tala!
I already own a larger icing syringe but for smaller, linear details such as handwriting the pen is perfect. Plus it's pink and packaged in a pretty tin which is a lovely stylish touch. I suspect it'll come in very handy for decorating gingerbread men at Christmas. Thanks Tala!
Red velvet cake
Recipe from "Vintage Cakes" by Jane Brocket.
120g softened butter
300g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour
10g cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
220g buttermilk
1-2 tsp red food colouring gel/paste (I recommend buying good quality)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 heaped tsp of bicarbonate of soda
Preheat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3 and grease and line two 20cm round cake tins. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa and salt. Mix then carefully add to the other mixture in batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Add the red colouring and gently fold the mixture until it's a solid deep red colour. In another bowl, mix together the bicarbonate of soda and white wine vinegar before folding into the cake batter.
Once mixed, divide the batter between two cake tins and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25-30 minutes until the cakes are firm and springy to touch (or a cake skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean). Leave to cool in the tins for 5-10 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.
icing:
110g softened butter
400g icing sugar
220g soft cream cheese (full fat)
a few drops of vanilla extract
Beat together the icing sugar and butter. Once combined add the cream cheese (I added mine cold from the fridge) and the vanilla extract and mix thoroughly until smooth. If needed, level the cakes before icing. There's easily enough icing to sandwich the cake and cover the top and sides. For the writing I mixed up a small amount of icing sugar, water and red food colouring to pipe using the icing pen.
Disclaimer: I was kindly sent a product to use/review by Tala. I was not paid for this post and all opinions expressed are my own.





Tala is truly a vintage brand now! Bet they'll be glad to see that you put it to good use. Lovely styling with the utility ware - as always!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I bet you're glued to GBBO - I am!
Thanks VK! Yes I am very much glued to GBBO. Caught up with this week's episode online last night and found myself craving trifle at midnight.
DeleteLovely looking cake Jo. I have never made a red velvet cake before but am tempted to now...
ReplyDeleteThanks! Red velvet was always a cake I felt undecided on, but I had a notion for making it last weekend and I was delighted with the finished cake.
DeleteBeautiful cake with super cute decoration. I've never made a red velvet cake before but this has inspired me. Great pics too.
ReplyDeleteThank you! :)
DeleteWhat a pretty cake!
ReplyDeleteThe pen looks cool. I'm sure I could make an ALMIGHTY mess with it! :-)
Carly
x
haha, you should have seen the kitchen when I finished...! I'd like to meet a tidy baker, how do they do it?!
DeleteI have never made red velvet cake but this looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteMaria xxx
Thanks Maria! It's a pretty straight forward recipe and makes a satisfyingly large cake :)
DeleteI love red velvet cake, yours looks great. Cute little decorations too :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Laura! :)
DeleteThat looks seriously yummy. You'll laugh, I attempted to convert a red velvet cake recipe once into a blue velvet cake one. Being the fool that I am, I made no connection with the fact that the cocoa powder would make my blue go a dark cow pat green colour :P
ReplyDeleteYour blog is wonderful by the way :)
Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx
Thanks Jenny :)
DeleteOh dear! That must have been so disappointing! I think the new Clandestine Cake Club book has a blue velvet cake recipe. I'll have to see how they managed to get the blue colour without removing the cocoa flavour.
I love red velvet cake which reminds me that I've not made it in a long time. The tala icing pen looks really cool too - I must have one! Love the freestyle decoration :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Ros, I think I'm too impatient to do anything but freestyle decoration!
Deleteah Jo this red velvet cake look absolutely delicious!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Gloria!
DeleteLooks great, I like the pinkier texture, it puts me off a bit when they are crazy red. Not sure why to be honest. I've never made red velvet anything! I've seen those icing pens but never tried them, your decoration looks lovely! I always get really nervous and start shaking if I have to use writing icing!
ReplyDeleteMmm that looks delicious. I need to try making red velvet cake too. I really like it.
ReplyDeleteOh yum! I love adding buttermilk to everything! it really enhances any cake! and that icing pen is so cool, you're right - it will be awesome for decorating gingerbread! You sound like a very good auntie :)
ReplyDeleteI still haven't made a red velvet cake which is ridiculous, I must get round to it! The decoration is so cute.
ReplyDelete