Monday, 30 September 2013

Blackberry bakewell cake

The recipe for this cake actually calls for raspberries, but after last week's unfortunate raspberry incident I was in no hurry to revisit them. In fact I went as far as glaring at the raspberries in the supermarket and bought blackberries instead. Much more seasonal not to mention bug free, hurray!


I toyed with the idea of replacing the vanilla extract with almond extract to ramp up the bakewell flavour (and I see I had the same thought when I baked this cake last year) but I came to the conclusion that the sweetness of vanilla would compliment and balance the super tart blackberries.



I also see from last year's post that I mentioned this cake would be good served warm with custard. I can now testify this as that's exactly how we ate it at the weekend and the waft of vanilla from the reheated cake is amazing. 


Custard snobs will throw their hands up in horror because we made custard from the powder. Quite frankly I don't care, I love custard made from powder!


This is definitely a cake I can recommend to almond fans. My mum was delighted that I revisited this recipe as she loved it the first time round. The recipe can be found on BBC Good Food. and the only change I made was my choice of berry. As my blackberries were quite large I cut them in half to spread them evenly through the mixture. I also found my cake took an extra 15 minutes to bake.

22 comments:

  1. I wish I had one of those magic iPads, where you can just reach in and grab what you're looking at! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that sounds rather dangerous, I think I would become morbidly obese considering the number of baking blogs I follow!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was definitely in the mood for an almond bake last week :)

      Delete
  3. Look fantastic Jo, I think really I love blackberries is one of my favorites fruits!
    And love the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria, I love them too. Don't know why I don't bake with them more often!

      Delete
  4. Berries in an almondy cake will only ever result in joy - as your lovely cake proves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blackberries more so that raspberries. It looks delicious and I can imagine it tasted so good with custard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent with custard, I highly recommend it. :)

      Delete
  6. I wonder why I always leave your blog with a rumbling tummy....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, it's always cake-o'clock over here :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful bake - I've made this with raspberries but you have tempted me to use blackberries. Fab photos too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie, you should definitely try. I think it's even better with blackberries.

      Delete
  8. This looks delicious, I really love blackberries!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that cross section shot of the blackberries peeking through! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gem! I love the shocking purpley pink colour blackberries ooze in baked goods.

      Delete
  10. This looks quite delicious, just my sort of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My parents have been picking so many blackberries they're rapidly filling up our freezer - this cake looks like the perfect way to make use of our glut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So jealous! There are no blackberries to pick near me unfortunately. This cake would definitely be a good way to use them up.

      Delete