Saturday, 2 November 2013

spider cookies

I don't know why I just used the word "cookies". To me they're biscuits. It's the British in me I suppose.

Anyway, spider biscuits/cookies... I made these for Hallowe'en. I found the recipe here when I was browsing for Hallowe'en themed bakes last week and their cuteness appealed to me.


I didn't have any golden caster sugar left so I used ordinary caster sugar and I misread the recipe by only adding 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract when it's meant to be 1 tablespoon, so the flavour was a little underwhelming (although still perfectly edible.) At least I know that was my own doing rather than the recipe itself.

I also used two giant chocolate buttons sandwiches together for the spiders' bodies instead of minstrels and little edible pearls for eyes as I didn't have any silver balls.


And I didn't chill the dough for 2 hours before rolling out, I shoved it in the freezer for half an hour instead. I bet you're starting to think I didn't read the recipe at all!


The last thing to note is that this recipe makes a lot of biscuits, I think I had about 50 biscuits in total. It tested my patience drawing that many spider legs, but it was definitely worth it in the end as they had a lot of character and charm. Everybody seemed to enjoy them which is always the main thing.

15 comments:

  1. Haha, they look amazing :D Really original :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca, I'm afraid I can't take all the credit though. Wish I had thought of the original idea!

      Delete
  2. Me too! If it's crisp it's a biscuit. I reserve the word cookie for those large, chewy things which don't always do it for me
    Your decoration on these is nothing short of genius - they look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your way of thinking CC, you may have solved the biscuit/cookie debate for me!

      Delete
  3. I love these! Chocolate spiders are definitely the kind of spiders I can get on board with. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me too. If only real spiders were made of chocolate...

      Delete
  4. I normally HATE spiders but, for some reason, really like the look of these...... ;-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute little critters aren't they?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VK! I thought they looked really cute all lined up on the cooling rack. It was worth the two hours painting all the legs!

      Delete
  6. Oh these are lovely, they really do have a lot of personality!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo I think those look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these! I would call them biscuits too... I think cookies have to be more domed and a bit messier?

    ReplyDelete