Saturday, 29 March 2014

custard cream cupcakes

Another custard cream themed bake. Sorry, not sorry. Oreo and bourbon lovers will have to sit at the back of the room. It's all about custard creams here.


When I asked Mum what she'd like me to bake for Mother's Day this weekend she requested custard cream cupcakes. After searching my blog archives I discovered I haven't baked these since 2011! Quite surprising as I baked them a lot pre blog. Sometimes with blogging I think there can be an expectation to only post "new" things, whether it's food, clothing combinations, craft projects, purchases etc. I like revisiting old favourites though. If it works and you love it, who cares!


As I couldn't be bothered faffing about with a piping bag, I just spread the icing on with a palette knife. Ironically, this actually took far longer and some may argue that these look hideously lumpy and ugly, but I rather like the rustic, juvenile application. It has a homemade charm. Plus this form of icing lends itself very well to sprinkles. And everybody knows that sprinkles are the best.


These cupcakes are just as tasty as I remember. The cream in the batter definitely gives the cupcakes an extra indulgent kick and I love the sweetness of the custard cream chunks. I must have picked the cupcake containing the least biscuit chunks to photograph here (typical!) but you can see they're in there.


I'll try to return with a non custard cream related bake, but I can't promise you anything...

Did I mention that I really love custard creams? ;)

11 comments:

  1. So do I, never seen these before. Lucky Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely recipe Jo- I've never thought of baking custard creams (such a scrummy biscuit classic!) in cupcakes before. And I know what you mean about feeling a little pressure to bake or make something new each week when writing a blog. There are several recipes over the years that I've always meant to return back to as they were so damn good but feel I can't just produce a blog post featuring a rhubarb and custard cake ten weeks in a row! I'm sure these will be a huge hit with your Mum today

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic - the custard cream is the king of biscuits and you've now allowed it to compete in the cake category too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these cupcakes Jo look amazing and beauty!!
    and love your stand cake and love custard cream too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still in love with your cake stand! and the custard cream cupcakes are so fun, I haven't had a custard cream since I was about 8!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a hearty recipe! A well loved traditional biscuit made into a lovely cupcake! It is true when they say you can create a cupcake out of everything!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love custard creams I could actually munch of one right now as well as one of these cupcakes. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these sound amazing! I love the sprinkles/icing!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you baked these again because I hadn't seen them before and they sound amazing! Loving the custard cream themed bakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pallette knife application! I like the texture it gives and it is the best base for sprinkle application, as you say. Piping swirls just makes for sparse sprinkles! You'll be pleased to know I'm now converted to Custard Creams, thanks to trying the giant versions in Costa, so I'm adding these to my to do list!

    ReplyDelete