What? Three posts in one week?! I'm as shocked as you to be honest. It has been a busy couple of weeks in the kitchen.
I have another birthday cake to share! This cake was baked at short notice for a family friend on Wednesday. When pushed for time I usually default to a victoria sponge recipe as it's quick and simple to put together and always a crowd pleaser.
The recipe is more or less the same as my vanilla cupcakes, except the sugar, margarine and flour are bumped up to 7oz (200g) as I used 3 duck eggs to make enough mixture to fill two 18cm round tins.
For filling and decoration I kept it simple with cream cheese icing (using the Hummingbird Bakery's recipe), strawberry jam and chopped strawberries. I may have eaten a few strawberries dipped in the left over cream cheese icing.... oh so good!
This is also the last cake to have been baked in our old gas oven. It was almost sad to see it go. It's the end of an era! We now have a brand spanking new rangemaster. Dare I say our kitchen almost looks posh! (I'll never want to move out...) Country Living photoshoot here we come! Whenever I'm in the kitchen now I just stare at it in amazement, similar to when I got my kitchenaid two years ago (ok, I still stare at it in amazement.) I'm hoping I'll bake something in the new electric oven(s!) this weekend. It'll be a new experience!



I am sure your friend was very pleased with this delicious beautiful cake. Blessings, Catherine
ReplyDeleteThanks Catherine, he was delighted with his cake!
DeleteThe cake looks stunning! And I would love to see a country living photoshoot with your new oven ;) By the way, I know the amazement of owning a Kitchen Aid, I sometimes still do my happy KitchenAid dance :P
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Rebecca
Thanks Rebecca. Haha I might have to do a photoshoot, although it'll be a few weeks. We had to knock out an old unit to make space for the new cooker so there's still a big hole next to the cooker.
DeleteI think I do a happy Kitchenaid dance every time I use it!
What a lovely Victoria sponge, it looks very yummy Jo! I'm longing for a kitchenaid, I'm waiting for my currant mixer to die then I'll get one. What colour have you got? Have fun with your new oven!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Laura! I will do :) My kithenaid is yellow and I love it. Two years on and the novelty still hasn't worn off!
DeleteI would love a rangemaster one day...then I'd finally feel 'grown up'! What a lovely section of bakes this week Jo not least this glorious sensational strawberry cake!
ReplyDeleteIt's a rather swish cooker. I'll never want to move out! Perhaps mum will let me take it with me...? haha
DeleteOh wowee this looks delicious, I love strawberries!
ReplyDeleteMaria xxx
Thanks Maria! It feels very summery baking with strawberries again :)
DeleteYou can't go wrong with a good old viccy sponge in my book too - especially if it turns out like your lovely strawberry bedecked one! Happy eating!
ReplyDeleteThanks VK. I completely agree!
DeleteOh my word, that looks amazing! I also adore the blue vintage floral - of course!
ReplyDeleteThanks Candy Pop! It's my new wallpaper in my bedroom. I've become a bit obsessed with using it as a backdrop!
DeleteI love how thick your layers are! You definitely can't go wrong with a Victoria sponge, looks like a good 'sign off' bake for your old oven. Old things going make me sad. I still remember me and Mum almost in tears as we watched our tired old brown sofa getting loaded into the rubbish van about 20 years ago! You'll have to give us a peek at your new oven though!
ReplyDeleteYes it was good to sign off the old cooker with a classic! I'm still finding it weird cooking/baking with an electric oven. The cavewoman in me almost refuses to believe anything will cook properly because there is no flame in the oven. Stupid I know!
DeleteYou have some wonderful recipes on your site. I came here from Baking in Pyjamas and would love if you shared some of your recipes on Merry Monday Linky Party.
ReplyDeleteThanks Erlene! Hope you stop by again :)
Delete