Sunday, 8 June 2014

banana and coconut muffins

I was tempted to call this post "experimental banana baking and cupboard clearing night" but that seemed rather long winded.

Earlier this week I discovered an interesting array of almost out of date ingredients in the baking cupboard and some black bananas on the worktop so an evening of baking was in order. I ended up producing an almond and dried cranberry banana loaf (more or less the same as this recipe) and these banana and coconut muffins.


It got me thinking that I rarely use coconut in my bakes. It's not that I don't like coconut, it's just not a flavour I tend to go (coco)nuts over.

HAHA, see what I did there? *everybody groans*


Although my cobbled together recipe isn't perfect (neither are my half-assed foggy evening photographs) I really enjoyed the banana and coconut flavour combination. It's subtly sweet and feels a little bit tropical. Like most muffins these were best fresh from the oven although I also enjoyed one reheated the following day for breakfast with the remaining coconut yoghurt. However I found they lacked something when cold so I added a simple glaze (icing sugar mixed with a splash of fruit juice) which perked them up a bit.

I imagine they'd also be lovely eaten with a fruity curd. If I were to make these again I'd feel tempted to add something else into the batter; perhaps some chopped pecans or small pineapple chunks for extra texture or juicy-ness.


My muffins didn't rise as much as I had hoped either. Muffin making confuses me as I'm sure I read somewhere that the less you mix everything the better as you're not going for the airiness of a sponge cake. That said, surely it needs a bit more rise? If you don't mix enough you'll just be left with a stodgy lump.

Perhaps they needed a higher temperature in the oven too. I'm still trying to get used to my new oven temperatures. I've always used gas ovens so changing to electric has been a bit confusing. The cave woman in me is saying "but there's no flame.... where is the heat coming from?!"

I know you're laughing. I'm an idiot.

Banana and coconut muffins

125g self raising flour
90g golden caster sugar
40g (roughly) dessicated coconut
a good pinch of cinnamon
a few drops of vanilla extract
50g butter, melted
1 large egg
1 banana, mashed
60ml coconut yoghurt

for a simple
icing glaze:
a couple of tablespoonfuls of icing sugar
a splash of fresh fruit juice. I used a tropical flavoured one.

Preheat the oven to 180C/170 fan/Gas 4 and line a muffin tin with about 8 muffin cases. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together all the wet ingredients in a jug then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix everything together until combined. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases, filling each one about 2/3 full, then place on the middle shelf of the oven for about 30 minutes or until risen, golden and firm to touch. Leave to cool in the tray for a few minutes before turning out to finish cooling on a wire rack. 

Enjoy warm from the oven or cool with yoghurt, a fruity curd or a simple fruit flavoured icing glaze. 

11 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love baking with the cupboard leftovers! It is a great excuse to try wacky combinations, although my last one was definitely a disaster with cocoa nibs. Your muffins look lovely. I can never figure out how much to mix muffins either, mine come out like little rocks usually. Will definitely have to give them another go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excavating the baking cupboard is always an interesting experience. Sometimes I find things I can't even remember buying! I still have some sultanas which need using up. They'll probably get thrown in a banana loaf too!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, they look amazing.... I've bookmarked the post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love creating recipes with whatever I can find in the kitchen. Muffins are perfect as they are quick and no fuss. I like the little glaze on top and adding some nuts or fruit definitely sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely think they'd benefit from an extra ingredient such as pecans. I'm definitely getting braver though with creating/adapting ingredients to suit what I have :)

      Delete
  4. I have always struggled with muffins - if I over mix they come out tough, when I'm careful not to over mix they seem glue-y. These look great though.
    I have only ever baked with electric ovens but can see that any major change in what you're used to takes some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People keep saying muffins are easy but I definitely struggle with the "how much to mix" question.

      Thankfully I haven't had any disasters in the new oven yet! It's just a bit confusing when I was used to the old gas oven cooking/baking things a bit slower than stated and now I have a fan oven which cooks things quicker!

      Delete
  5. I love these muffins Jo, look so good, I love the glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I think it's public knowledge that anything with coconut in gets my seal of approval! love the glaze...the lack of frosting/icing always puts me off muffins so I'd be loving these!!

    ReplyDelete