This felt like a purely selfish bake. I had no reason to bake a triple layer cake, which I usually feel deserves an "occasion", I just really wanted one.
It was only 6 inches in diameter though. A satisfying size and height of cake without being massive.
I based this cake on a tasty cake I ate in Edinburgh earlier
in the year and also one I bookmarked on
Sweetapolita ages ago. I loved the look and flavour of a lemon layer sandwiched between blueberry studded layers. Although my layering isn't as distinct as
Sweetapolita's I still think it makes an attractive cake.
Now if you excuse me I'm going to go and scream into a pillow. It has been one of those days...
Blueberry and lemon layer cake
I baked this a couple of weeks ago and stupidly didn't write anything down so my memory of this is a bit sketchy. I think this is what I used though!
200g caster sugar
200g stork margarine (or butter)
3 large eggs
200g self raising flour
zest of 2 lemons
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp milk (I think!)
2 small packets of blueberries (I think they were about 150g each)
icing and filling:
450g icing sugar
150g butter (I use slightly salted)
lemon juice to taste
lemon curd
blueberry jam
Preheat the oven to 180C/170 fan/Gas 4. Grease and line three 6 inch round cake tins. Beat together the sugar and margarine/butter for 5 minutes until pale, light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well between each addition. Sift in the flour and add the lemon zest and 1 tbsp of lemon juice and milk. Mix until everything is smooth and fully combined. Divide the mixture between the three tins. Coat a packet of the blueberries in a small amount of flour (to stop them sinking in the mix) and lightly press the blueberries into the surface of two of the cake mixes. I can't remember if I used the whole blueberry packet, but I basically just pressed in enough to roughly cover the surface.
Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes until risen, golden, springy to touch and the edges of the cake have come away from the tin. I only have two tins so the plain lemon layer was baked separately afterwards. If I remember correctly, I think the blueberry sponges took longer to bake, possibly up to 30 minutes, probably due to the addition of the blueberries to the mixture. Once cooked, leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
For the icing, beat together the icing sugar, butter and enough lemon juice to achieve a nice spreadable consistency. Use to sandwich between the cakes (along with the jam and/or curd!) and coat the top and outside of the cake. Decorate your cake with any remaining blueberries.
I
couldn't decide whether I wanted to use lemon curd or blueberry jam
with my lemon butter icing between the layers. In the end I went with both:
jam between the bottom and middle layer and curd between the middle and
top. They both offer something different flavour wise so I think that
was a good choice.
I also toyed with the idea of going for a smooth icing coverage to finish the cake. After a few attempts I came to the conclusion that I don't own a large enough palette knife, I don't have the patience (or skill?) required and ultimately I don't particularly care! I actually really like textured icing. It looks homely and inviting and takes me less time to do therefore I get to eat cake quicker. And that's the most important thing, right?
Flavour wise this cake is a real sharp, sweet and tart sensation for the taste buds. Mum even declared "this is one of the best cakes you've made in a while". I'll take that compliment! I must admit I prefer sweet and sour flavour combinations to sweet and salty, although I'm expecting people may throw their cooking utensils at me for admitting that. Don't get me wrong, salted caramel is good, but I find it hard to go past a sharp and sweet lemon bake.I also toyed with the idea of going for a smooth icing coverage to finish the cake. After a few attempts I came to the conclusion that I don't own a large enough palette knife, I don't have the patience (or skill?) required and ultimately I don't particularly care! I actually really like textured icing. It looks homely and inviting and takes me less time to do therefore I get to eat cake quicker. And that's the most important thing, right?
Now if you excuse me I'm going to go and scream into a pillow. It has been one of those days...
Blueberry and lemon layer cake
I baked this a couple of weeks ago and stupidly didn't write anything down so my memory of this is a bit sketchy. I think this is what I used though!
200g caster sugar
200g stork margarine (or butter)
3 large eggs
200g self raising flour
zest of 2 lemons
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp milk (I think!)
2 small packets of blueberries (I think they were about 150g each)
icing and filling:
450g icing sugar
150g butter (I use slightly salted)
lemon juice to taste
lemon curd
blueberry jam
Preheat the oven to 180C/170 fan/Gas 4. Grease and line three 6 inch round cake tins. Beat together the sugar and margarine/butter for 5 minutes until pale, light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well between each addition. Sift in the flour and add the lemon zest and 1 tbsp of lemon juice and milk. Mix until everything is smooth and fully combined. Divide the mixture between the three tins. Coat a packet of the blueberries in a small amount of flour (to stop them sinking in the mix) and lightly press the blueberries into the surface of two of the cake mixes. I can't remember if I used the whole blueberry packet, but I basically just pressed in enough to roughly cover the surface.
Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes until risen, golden, springy to touch and the edges of the cake have come away from the tin. I only have two tins so the plain lemon layer was baked separately afterwards. If I remember correctly, I think the blueberry sponges took longer to bake, possibly up to 30 minutes, probably due to the addition of the blueberries to the mixture. Once cooked, leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
For the icing, beat together the icing sugar, butter and enough lemon juice to achieve a nice spreadable consistency. Use to sandwich between the cakes (along with the jam and/or curd!) and coat the top and outside of the cake. Decorate your cake with any remaining blueberries.






There's something a bit special about a thee layer cake and I like the fact it's not too big. Looks lovely.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I usually only make triple layer cakes for birthdays but I enjoyed making this one just for the fun of it :)
DeleteI think it is great that you baked this beautiful cake without an occasion; simply to enjoy. It really looks good. Blessings, Catherine
ReplyDeleteThanks Catherine!
Deletemmm! this looks scrummy! I think a slice of that cake could solve a lot of life's wrongs :)
ReplyDeleteI think it maybe could!
Deleteoh gosh that looks delicious!! my fav flavours! lovely presentation! .
ReplyDeleteHow gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteBlueberry and lemon are so right together - I could do with a large slice right now!
Thanks Jean! I thought they were a lovely pairing too.
DeleteAww Jo this cake look delicious!
ReplyDeleteThanks Gloria!
DeleteThis looks super yummy. Big fan of both lemon and blueberry. Good choice! x
ReplyDeleteThanks Stacey!
Deleteaahh it looks just stunning! and i love the fact that you just baked it because you wanted it ;) i should do this more often actually ;) the layers look really nice and i think the flavor combination of curd, cream and berries is just divine ;)
ReplyDeletehave a great weekend,
rebecca
icing-sugar.net
Thanks Rebecca. It's good to treat yourself once in a while :)
DeleteWow what a stunner. And seriously, your photos look like they could come from a high-end cook book - amazingly good!
ReplyDeleteThanks CC, you're too kind!
DeleteWhat an amazing cake!! Lemon and blueberry is one of my favourite combinations and I love how you've used curd and jam in between the layers. Isn't everyday cake day or is that just me? :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Ros. Every day is cake day in my world :)
DeleteThis looks DELICIOUS! Please come and be my personal cake maker?!
ReplyDeleteMaria xxx
hehe, I may take you up on that offer! ;)
DeleteI also have this Sweetapolita cake bookmarked! So jeal you've got around to making it and I love that you used both the curd and the jam!! double whammy! It looks amazing, I love the way you have frosted the sides, and prefer it over a smooth look any day!!
ReplyDeleteI like your decision making process - when trying to decide between something, use both! I agree on the non smooth icing - it definitely looks better, although I would say that because I have no patience either!
ReplyDelete