Thursday, 23 July 2015

banana and coffee loaf

I have three confessions to make:

1. I hate coffee.

2. This is the first time I've baked using a flavour I dislike.

3. I underbaked the cake. Waaaaaah!!! :(


This cake had so much potential, I'm gutted it didn't work out. It rose well, felt firm to touch and the skewer inserted into the centre came out clean so I thought the cake was full cooked, but clearly it wasn't. It's so sad witnessing a cake deflate.

I am definitely at fault though, not the recipe, as I had enough batter left over from the loaf to bake a jumbo muffin and it turned out beautifully. It was well risen, had a lovely soft crumb and even I, the coffee hater, thought it tasted pretty good. Did I think to photograph the muffin? Erm... no.


The sweetness from the banana and honey balanced the bitterness which I dislike in coffee. I didn't think the banana loaf was spoiled by the addition of coffee, whereas I do think a mocha is a ruined hot chocolate!

My Mum, who I made the cake for, loved the flavour. She's been subtly suggesting banana and coffee as a cake flavour combination for ages so was delighted that I finally made it, even though it was a bit of a flop. She especially loved the fudgy coffee icing. It's like the fudgy chocolate icing my Granny used to make, but the cocoa powder is replaced with coffee granules.


Mum and I discovered that the soggy cake could (sort of) be rescued by cooking slices of it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. The icing turns into a sticky sauce which seeps into the cake, making it more like a pudding. A sticky coffee pudding!

I'll definitely try this recipe again, but will pay more attention to the baking times. I was (finally!) watching the last film in the Twilight franchise whilst baking this cake, so I'm blaming my poor results on the dismal acting. On the upside, Michael Sheen is fantastic so it's worth watching for him alone. I almost wet myself laughing at his reaction to the half human half vampire child. Comedy gold: https://youtu.be/i7kT0qiv78s

Coffee and banana loaf
Recipe slightly adapted from Laura's mini bundt recipe at I'd Much Rather Bake Than... 

cake:
9 tbsp (135ml) sunflower oil
100g runny honey
75g light brown muscovado sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp (90ml) milk mixed with 3 heaped tsp coffee granules
3 large eggs
3 bananas, mashed
330g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder

coffee icing (this makes quite a lot so you could reduce quantities):
75g butter
3 heaped dessert spoonfuls of milk mixed with 3 heaped tsp coffee granules
350g icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 4 and grease and line a 900g/2lb loaf tin. Put the oil, honey, sugar, vanilla, milky coffee, eggs and banana in a large bowl. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix for about a minute until everything is well combined. Pour the mixture in the tin until about 2/3 full. The mixture will be quite runny and there will be enough left over batter for a big muffin or a few cupcakes (just remember they will only take about 20-30 minutes to bake as they're smaller.)

Bake the loaf in the centre of the oven for at least an hour (don't take it out at 50-55 minutes like me!!) until well risen, firm to touch and a skewer inserted into the centre of the oven comes out clean. Don't watch Twilight whilst baking. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.

For the icing, melt the butter with the coffee milk in the microwave (or in a pan on the hob.) Add the icing sugar and mix together until smooth, cool and thickened. Pour over the cake and leave to set.

16 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hate it when that happens! Sometimes the skewer test can be so misleading, can't it. I have many a cake seem to be perfectly cooked, only to gently sag as soon as it comes out of the oven.
    This still looks like a yummy cake though, and I'm not a coffee lover either!

    Jennie // Scarletscorchdroppers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie! I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't mind the flavour. At least I know that if I bake another one I can eat it!

      Delete
  2. Awww, the skewer test has proved me wrong many a time, I sometimes find a knife seems to work better (maybe because it's wider?) the icing looks absolutely divine though, I must try that soon! Vaguely remember falling asleep during the first twilight film like a middle-aged man so haven't quite managed to get round to watching any of the others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, might use a knife next time to be extra sure.

      I laughed so hard during the first twilight film that I actually got tutted at by teenage girls in the cinema. Oops!

      Delete
  3. The skewer test has failed me too on occasion! Never mind, but at least your photos look lovely with the retro coffee set. P.S. I can't stand banana, but I love coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks VK. I thought I might as well blog about the cake as it gave me an opportunity to use my retro Johnson Bros coffee set!

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of coffee and banana may give this one a go. Love that your mum found a way to rescue the cake with the microwave. Clever mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Yes I thought that was a very clever idea too!

      Delete
  5. Don't worry, I had a similar incident recently and threw the whole cake away. Gutted, I was!
    I struggle baking with flavours I don't like but do it occasionally...you have to keep people happy, after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, it's sad when a cake goes straight to the bin. Thankfully that has only happened to me a couple of times!

      Delete
  6. People don't understand why I would bake with flavours I dont like but I often do because as CC says it keeps people happy! You know how much I love baking with bananas - I don't think I've tried banana and coffee before so this is going on my to bake list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, plus it's good to occasionally push yourself out your baking comfort zone :) Hope you enjoy the cake if you make it!

      Delete
  7. I'm slowly coming around the the idea of coffee in baking. I've never been a coffee drinker and I hate mocha, but a little coffee in a chocolate cake really enhances the chocolate flavour I find. I'm sorry your cake flopped, but it does sound rather fabulous and I know CT would love it, so I've bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that too, I'll need to try it out sometime.

      Delete
  8. Coffee cake is the only cake I don't eat! I'm pleased your Mum enjoyed it. :)
    Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete