Thursday, 16 July 2015

strawberries and cream cake

Just a quick post today. I wasn't intending to blog this as I didn't take any photographs other than these two snaps with my phone, but I enjoyed this cake so much I felt compelled to share it regardless of photo quality.


My friends and I had a small Wimbledon final party last Sunday so naturally I baked a cake for us to enjoy. It's the same sponge recipe as the strawberry cupcakes I baked the previous week - basically a victoria sponge with a handful of chopped strawberries and teaspoon of vanilla bean paste - baked in two 18cm (7inch) round cake tins, sandwiched together with jam and cream and topped with strawberries and icing sugar.


It was light, fresh and delicately sweet. I really wish I had taken better photographs! One of my friends baked Pimms cupcakes so we were well supplied with cake for the afternoon. We needed it to console ourselves after Federer's defeat.

It could just be that I was too distracted by conversation and cake this year, but I felt like I had seen more exciting Wimbledon finals. Anybody agree?

28 comments:

  1. Wimbledon totally passed me by, this year. I have always found that when I try and add strawbs to cake they sink and it tends to be quite soggy - is that fixed by coating with flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, completely forgot to mention that, sorry! I chop the strawberries into fairly small chunks and give them a light coating of flour. They still mostly sink but as long as you don't add too many it doesn't make the cake soggy. :)

      Delete
  2. I was going to ask the same thing how do you stop the fruit sinking? These look scrummy. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cut into small chunks and cover in a bit of flour is what I've found works best. They still sink a bit but I think that's just what happens when you add berries to cakes. They also increase the cake's baking time due to the extra moisture. I think this cake took somewhere between 30-40 minutes in the oven at 160C Fan.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of Wimbledon, but I'm a fan of your blog! Your cake looks court-worthy and I've never heard of Pimms cupcakes before! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks VK!

      I hadn't heard of Pimms cupcakes either! She baked an orange sponge then mixed some Pimms into her butter icing and topped with a strawberry and mint. Personally I could have done without the mint. It only belongs in toothpaste!

      Delete
  4. Delicious! I was sad about Roger's loss :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :( I don't know what happened to him in the final as he had been playing so fantastically throughout the tournament. Gutted!

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious! I love the way you can see the strawberries peaking through the side of the cake - so tempting!

    The final was ok, but the wait between the end of the match and the presentation seemed to take forever. Watching the centre court roof close may just be one of the most boring things I've ever seen televised!

    Jennie // Scarletscorchdroppers

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Hahaha. And why did the players go off court? They usually sit and wait on court until the presentation is ready.

      Delete
  6. Perfect summertime cake Jo, It looks wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! It was a lovely change to fill a cake with fresh cream rather than my usual butter icing.

      Delete
  7. A perfect Wimbledon cake by the looks of things! And the Pimms cupcakes sound delicious too. I wouldn't blame you for being distracted from the tennis by all the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. I'm very easily distracted by cake!

      Delete
  8. This post made me smile. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely forgot to keep track of Wimbledon this year but sad that Federer didn't win :( Although your cake looks utterly scrumptious and would definitely have gone a good way to consoling my disappointment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't manage to catch much of Wimbledon either. The final was the only match I managed to watch from beginning to end so was a bit gutted that it wasn't really exciting. Perhaps my expectations were too high this year.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, looks scrummy! I would take cream over buttercream in a cake filling any day, especially when there are strawberries involved! I'm not much of a tennis fan myself, but I would definitely have watched the final if there was a slice of that cake involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I love cream in cakes but sadly rarely use it, mostly because I hate having to put cakes in the fridge if they're not eaten in one sitting. Cake never tastes as good after it has been in a fridge :(

      Delete
  11. Love strawberries and cream particularly in cake form and this looks spectacular and perfect for this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you, Ros. It was a lovely, summery cake.

      Delete
  12. This looks and sounds amazing!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, I think I might need to bake it again this summer!

      Delete