My Granny used to make the best dropped scones (or scotch pancakes, whichever name you prefer.) She cooked them on a gridle on her old Raeburn cooker and kept them warm under a teatowel on the cooling rack. It was always exciting getting to peek under the teatowel. Her dropped scones were soft, fluffy, consistently circular and perfectly even and golden colour.
Either she perfected them through years of baking or I completely skipped the dropped scone making gene. Ah well, I make a mean victoria sponge.
Admittedly it has been many years since I last made dropped scones, well over 10 anyway. My mum bought me a gridle ages ago so I thought it was about time I tested it out. It was Pancake Day/Shrove Tuesday after all.
I think I'll refer to these as a test batch as I was sussing out batter thickness and optimum hob temperature. I certainly produced a varied range of shapes and colours, ethnically diverse you might say. Or like a dodgy Dulex paint shade card.
They tasted good though, even the aneamic ones, especially with golden syrup. I love how it seeps through the dropped scone. Messy and deliciously sweet, yum!




Yum! I have always known them as pikelets......don't ask me how or why as I am an immigrant to this land Australia and that is what they told me they were called. The bigger flatter ones are pancakes apparently.
ReplyDeleteInteresting, I've never heard the term pikelets before!
Deleteyum, it's been a while since I made a dropped scone! I swear by dan lepard's recipe in short and sweet, always works for me! happy belated pancake day :)
ReplyDeleteI keep hearing so many good things about that book. I'll need to invest in it.
DeleteThey look yummy! But I have no idea what dropped scones are! They look very much like the thing I call American pancakes... Either way, looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Mona
I think dropped scones are more or less like american pancakes, perhaps less sweet though. It's bascially a pancake/crepe mixture but thicker (less milk)
DeleteAh now these I make at least once a week! Can do this without looking at a recipe! But that is having three kids constantly demanding pudding! These look yum.
ReplyDeleteHaha, practice makes perfect!
DeleteAh now these I make at least once a week! Can do this without looking at a recipe! But that is having three kids constantly demanding pudding! These look yum.
ReplyDeleteI love the array of toppings on the table! I'm not really a fan of pancakes but these sound a bit like Welsh cakes (minus the evil fruit) so I would definitely be tucking in! Love seeing your Granny's recipe book there also :) Thanks for your comment on my last post - I did reply, but never sure if people check back. You're totally right on what cake it was, thank you for solving that one, I can sleep at night now!
ReplyDeleteYay I solved the mystery! I would say that deserves another pancake or dropped scone but sadly they're all gone.
DeleteEthnically diverse scones....aka, the United Colours of Scone.
ReplyDeleteLook great!
haha, I think I'll go with that title for my next batch.
Delete