Thursday, 19 May 2016

birthday baking bonanza

Four birthdays in my family fall between the end of April and middle of May so a lot of cakes have been baked and consumed around here recently. My sugar intake became so severe at one point that I developed an ulcer which threatened to take over half of the inside of my mouth. Guess what... I carried on eating cake. Sure, it made the ulcer angry, but damn it I love cake. Haha.

Instead of getting in a flap trying to blog each cake separately I thought I'd round them up in one post this year. Sit back and enjoy.


First up is my sister in law's birthday carrot bundt cake. I used the Hummingbird Bakery's carrot layer cake recipe from their first book which I've baked a few times before (here and here) and it's always a winner. I particularly like it in bundt form. Somehow carrot cake is more pleasing served as a big slab than in towering layers.

Next up is my brother's cake. He's the last birthday in our birthday run but we celebrated it a couple of weeks early as he couldn't get home for his actual birthday. It worked in his favour as he got to celebrate twice like the Queen.


He's a big fan of sticky toffee pudding and caramel flavours so I adapted the Hummingbird Bakery's sticky toffee pudding cupcake recipe into a cake. I've baked the cupcakes a couple of times before with great success yet somehome they've never been featured on the blog properly (wait, they're here). I doubled the ingredient quantities to create a triple layer cake but ended up only using two layers as it would have been ridiculously huge with three. This was a heavy but very tasty cake. I think it tasted even better on the second day.


Next up is my eldest brother's cake. He requested a lemon drizzle cake this year and who could say no to such a classic.


I used my favourite all-in-one Mary Berry recipe which has never failed me. We ate the cake with meringues, cream, strawberries and raspberries. Needless to say it was a delicious combination.


And lastly we have my youngest nephew's 3D Tractor Ted cake. I wasn't sure how well this would turn out but I think it looked pretty cool complete with laminated birthday banner and nephew. I can't take all the credit for this one though as my mum did all the modelling, I just provided the sponge cake for construction.


Not pictured is a plain traybake covered in chocolate icing and crushed Cadbury flake (to be a field for the tractor) and a big trifle. I had given up on photographing things by this point.

That's me up to date with all my baking. Now I need to catch up with everything else. I have a newly sewn dress, another finished knitting project and some charity shop purchases to share as well. What has everyone else been baking/making/doing this month?

22 comments:

  1. Mmmm so much cake! I fancy a bundt carrot cake now that I've seen that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, me too! I think my stomach has finally recovered enough to bake another.

      Delete
  2. AMAZING! These cakes all look absolutely delicious. I love that Mary Berry lemon drizzle cake recipe too. And wow - the tractor! Lucky family x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mary Berry's lemon drizzle is a complete winner. I've lost count how many times I've baked it.

      Delete
  3. These cakes do look delicious and I am sure they were wonderful! They all were made with much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so much cakey goodness! I like the idea of serving carrot cake in a bundt pant - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. I find bundts less faffy - no need to divide the mixture between tins or level and stack cake layers - which is great if I'm short of time... or feeling lazy ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh Jo, all your cakes look great! Your lemon drizzle cake sounds extra yummy especially with your side servings.
    Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I highly recommend eating it will meringue nests. So tasty!

      Delete
  6. Oh Jo, all your cakes look great! Your lemon drizzle cake sounds extra yummy especially with your side servings.
    Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so much cake!! Love it - and would have loved to be part of your family at this time!! haha
    All the cakes look amazing. I love carrot cake so much though so I think that is my favourite! But the lemon drizzle looks especially delicious as well!
    Hope you will have a nice weekend!
    Much love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mona! You can come and eat cake here anytime :)

      Delete
  8. What a lot of cake! I particularly like the sound of the lemon drizzle with meringue and berries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. It was so good. I'm definitely doing that again!

      Delete
  9. Gosh so many amazing cakes. Happy birthday everyone! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha. I think we've just about recovered from it all.

      Delete
  10. How funny - except for me, all my family's birthdays fall in April/May, so I can appreciate just how busy you've been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, we should be in business together at this time of year - share the baking load!

      Delete
  11. Goodness me you certainly have been busy with all of those delicious looking cakes. Lemon drizzle is such a classicly delicious cake, and served with the meringue and berries it must have been amazing,
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! It was a delicious combination, like a lemon meringue pie but so much better.

      Delete
  12. That really is a baking bonanza Jo. They all look fab. The Tractor is super cute, but I think I'd have to bag a slice of the toffee pudding cake first :)

    ReplyDelete