I've been so excited about sharing this project but had to wait until I handed it over as it was a birthday present. My brother turned the grand, grown up age of 30 this month and I thought he would appreciate a knitted dinosaur from the "Knit Your Own Dinosaur" book he bought for my birthday last year. You're never too grown up to receive a knitted dinosaur.
He said this was the most useless yet wonderful present he's received. I'm so pleased that was his response, not "ermmm, wtf is this?!"
Doesn't Steggy Steve look rather majestic strutting through the wilderness? I felt an on location photoshoot was necessary.
Although I lovingly referred to the stegosaurus as "Steve" whilst knitting, he has been renamed Danny since changing ownership. I guess it's a bit like when folk adopt cats or dogs from animal shelters. You see those adverts on TV or Facebook where they say "Give Simon a loving home" and you're sitting there thinking "No way is that dog a Simon, he's definitely a Brian".
So there you go, he's called Danny.
Hiya!
On the whole the project didn't take particularly long to knit. The most time consuming part was the sewing. So many bloody ends to sew in! It felt neverending.
He also took a *lot* of stuffing. That felt neverending too. No matter how much I stuffed him he wanted to lurch to one side in a drunken fashion. Danny obviously loves a good dram of whisky.
*hic*
The only problem I ran into was with the spikes/plates. Either I was being incredibly dense (entirely possible) or there’s an
error in the book regarding the colour distribution. If they’re meant to be staggered down the spine with
alternating colours then what’s written doesn’t work. I ended up with a
cluster of one colour on one side which didn’t look good, so I reknitted a couple of plates.
I was originally going to knit red and orange spikes but thought that might look too jazzy. Green and turquoise felt a bit more grown up and "manly". Haha.
So overall this stegosaurus was a bit of a pain in the arse to sew together, but definitely worth the effort. He looks so loveable! Perhaps I need to knit another one for myself.... and call him Steve. After all, Brenda needs company.






He is most excellent!
ReplyDeleteAww, thank you!
DeleteAw he's so cute! I mean, mean and scary looking, like a dinosaur should be! ;)
ReplyDeleteHaha, yes. A gentle bad ass.
DeleteThis is sooo cute! Very cool and well done!
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing useless about a knitted dinosaur!
Much love,
Mona
Thanks, Mona! I like to the he'll guard my brother's flat whilst he's out at work :D
DeleteWhat a guy! Love him x
ReplyDeleteCheers!
DeleteI had a similar experience with a project being renamed - I made a toy dog for my cousin's daughter the other year, which never had a fixed name when I was making it but was definitely male in my head, and as soon as I handed it over, it became a girl called Peaches!
ReplyDeleteoh wow, a complete sex change! Haha. As long as the toy was well received, that's the main thing :)
DeleteThat's adorable! He's so full of character.
ReplyDeleteDo you think I could rename my Simon "Brian" or does that only work for pets?
I think it's worth a try. Although we did rename your brother "Brian" so it might get confusing.
Delete