How on earth are we in September already?! Crazy. Anyway, here's a cake I made for my sister-in-law's birthday back in April. It has an autumnal feel so I guess it's appropriate that I'm sharing it later in the year. Sis-in-law is a fan of cream cheese icing so I generally plan my cake choices for her around that. After a flick through my recipe books I felt most tempted by the apple pie cake in Edd Kimber's first baking book, "The Boy Who Bakes."
I've actually baked that cake before for my brother's birthday years ago, but it is a *huuuuge* cake and the sponges involve some time consuming elements. To make things quicker and easier for myself I baked a standard victoria sponge cake but added some warming spice.
For the cinnamon cream cheese icing and caramelised apple topping and filling I followed the original recipe but scaled down the quantities. The overall flavour was tasty although from what I remember I thought I was a little heavy handed with the cinnamon in the sponges. I also slightly overbaked them which was annoying, especially since I was baking for someone else, but sometimes these things happen. Luckily the incredibly tasty cinnamon cream cheese icing and juicy, spiced apples provided enough moisture to stop it feeling like a sad, dry cake.
On the subject of cake, is anyone else watching the new Great British Bake Off series since it moved to Channel 4? Although the programme hasn't particularly changed, the absence of Mary Berry makes me sad. I also find Sandy Toksvig intensely annoying. Thoughts?
Sticky apple and cinnamon cake
Recipe adapted from Apple Pie Cake in "The Boy Who Bakes" by Edd Kimber
(I think this is what I did...)
cinnamon sponges:
I used the classic method of weighing out my softened butter/margarine, caster sugar and self-raising flour to the same weight as my eggs (each, not their combined total weight, if that makes sense.) I used 3 large eggs for this recipe which weighed around 6oz (about 170g?)
1tsp ground cinnamon (perhaps use less though, I'd go for 1/2 tsp)
cinnamon cream cheese icing:
75g softened butter
175g icing sugar
125g cream cheese (full fat)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
caramelised apples:
3 apples (I used Braeburn or Cox)
55g butter
55g light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180C/ Fan 160C. Grease two 18cm/7 inch round cake tins and line the bases with baking parchment. In a large bowl beat together the margarine and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add a tablespoon of the flour with the last egg to prevent the mixture from splitting. Add the cinnamon and flour and mix everything together until fully combined.
Divide the mixture between the cake tins and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for approx. 30 minutes until well risen, golden and spring back when touched. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
For the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes, then beat in the cream cheese, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
For the caramelised apples core, quarter and slice into wedges. Add to a pan with the butter, sugar and ginger. Put the pan on the hob over a medium heat and cook until the apples have softened and are coated in caramel. Drain the apples and leave to cool but keep the caramel juice. Pour the juice back into the pan and cook again over a medium heat until it has reduced and thickened slightly.
To serve, spread half of the icing on top of one sponge along with a layer of apples and half of the caramel juice. Pop the other sponge on top and repeat. Enjoy!



Sadly we here in the land of Oz....oztraylia....don't get your up to date tv programs! However I did catch a series where the diva that is Mrs Mary Berry hosted her own show for four glorious episodes. She is just the breath of fresh air we need in baking and it is very sad she will no longer grace Bake Off..sigh.
ReplyDeleteI have a newish friend who bakes such delicious treats when we meet for a catch up so I will be mining your blog for any and all good cake recommendations. I have scored a winner on a chocolate cake you posted about using Ovaltine and cocoa....now a firm favourite.
Mary Berry is the best! She really is a breath of fresh air and I love how she crosses generations - everybody loves her!
DeleteOoh the chocolate cake is a good one! Let me know if you have success with anything else. My personal favourites are that chocolate cake, lemon drizzle cake (funnily enough, Mary Berry recipe!) bakewell cakes and the Hummingbird Bakery's carrot cake. There are likely others I've forgotten about but those ones spring to mind. :)
We are our own worst critics, aren't we? This cake looks like absolute heaven and I wish I had had it for my birthday.
ReplyDeleteI certainly am :( This cake wasn't perfect but it certainly has potential to be really good. A second bake would likely iron out the kinks.
DeleteHappy belated birthday by the way!
We also don't get Bake Off here in Canada so I watch on YouTube when it's on. I liked the old cast especially Mary and the two funny hosts so it's too bad it's changed.
ReplyDeleteGreat looking apple cake by the way.
Yeah I really liked Mel and Sue as well. They were naturally fun and silly whereas I find the new presenters' humour overly scripted and contrived. Luckily the show's format is the same so the contestants and baking challenges are still fun to watch.
DeleteI rather like Sandy as a presenter, it doesn't feel much changed to me! Lovely looking cake, we had apple cake at the weekend. Much less glam version though!
ReplyDeleteYum, apple cake is lovely at this time of year - so warming and homely.
DeletePerhaps Sandy will grow on me! Haha. I don't want to be a grump about change, as change can be good, but it's difficult when I really liked the previous presenters.
The cake looks delicious as ever Jo! As for Bake Off - I don't dislike the new version, but it just doesn't feel quite like Bake Off without Mary, Mel and Sue. And I'm definitely not a fan of it being broken up by adverts!
ReplyDeleteThis cake looks amazing - the double whammy of cream cheese icing and caramel sauce sounds incredible!
ReplyDelete