Unless you've been living under a rock for the last few years, you've likely heard of or made yourself a Kitschy Coo Lady Skater dress. I bought the pattern early on last year and I am utterly ashamed that it took me a whole year to sew as it has kick started a complete love affair with sewing jersey.
My absolute favourite thing about sewing with jersey is that it is so forgiving regarding fit. I have spent the past two or three years labouring over woven bodices and feeling increasingly frustrated with things not fitting comfortably. I love how this all disappears with jersey. "Got big, awkward shoulders? No problem, I'll stretch over that." THANK YOU, JERSEY!
This is my triumphant "I am an unstoppable jersey dress making machine" pose.
For my first Lady Skater I chose a navy blue, medium weight jersey from Girl Charlee as I wanted to sew a replacement for an old shop bought dress
which gradually shrunk to the point of looking indecent. This jersey is lovely and soft to wear and my only complaint is that it loves to pick up any bit of fluff or hair - but that's navy fabric for you I guess.
For this dress I cut a size 4 according to my high bust measurement. The only changes I made to the pattern were grading out to the width of size 5 for the armhole to account for my broad shoulders and lengthening the skirt by 3 inches as I'm tall(ish) at 5ft 7 1/2.
I usually need to lengthen bodices by at least 1/2 inch but I had read comments that the Lady Skater bodice is long so I didn't change it. If anything, it came out slightly too long on me(!) but not annoying enough to unpick. Essentially, this dress was a toile but I'm delighted with how it turned out and I have worn it loads. It turns out that a plain, navy dress was definitely missing from my wardrobe.
Spurred on by the success of the first dress I immediately set out on my second. Shock horror, I picked another plain fabric! This time I used a deep green jersey purchased from My Fabrics. It's feels a little bit lighter in weight to the first one and not quite as soft/cotton-y to touch, but still a nice jersey. Although I like the little cap sleeves on the navy dress I fancied
something different so I copied the length of my Tilly and the Buttons Agnes t-shirt and twin needled the hems. My only other
change was shortening the bodice by 1/4 inch.
I'm really happy with how this dress turned out as well, although I probably wear the navy dress more.
My "WOOH, this dress has longer sleeves" pose.
I'm really happy with how this dress turned out as well, although I probably wear the navy dress more.
Tidy insides.
For my third Lady Skater, I finally felt ready to cut into my "posh" fabric which I purchased from Kitschy Coo at the same time as the dress pattern. It's a medium weight jersey (organic cotton, I think) and feels gorgeous to handle and wear - really soft and weighty. It's worth paying a little bit more sometimes for quality fabric, especially if it has a ridiculously cool print. This fabric is covered in sewing paraphenalia - how cute is that?!
I had forgotten that I could only get hold of 1.3m of this fabric so I was worried there wouldn't be enough for a dress. Thankfully I *just* managed to squeak it out. YAY! This dress makes me so happy.
Actually, all three of my Lady Skater dresses make me ridiculously happy. I genuinely feel like I've turned a corner with my sewing. I'm producing clothes that I want to wear all the time, not some of the time, and are continually in the washing basket. I had it stuck in my head for so long that I wanted to wear woven cotton dresses when actually what I wear most, and love wearing, is jersey. I think I even enjoy sewing jersey more! There's a weird satisfaction in sewing a nice neckband or twin needling a hem.
I have since moved onto making Colette Patterns' Moneta Dress, another lovely jersey pattern, but I definitely see more Lady Skaters in my future. They hit that perfect balance of being incredibly comfortable yet flattering and potentially quite smart.
I have since moved onto making Colette Patterns' Moneta Dress, another lovely jersey pattern, but I definitely see more Lady Skaters in my future. They hit that perfect balance of being incredibly comfortable yet flattering and potentially quite smart.








You look so great in all of them!! Well done!
ReplyDeleteThank you! :) I definitely see more on the horizon.
DeleteA trio of great dresses Jo - obviously I especially love the sewing themed one! I bought the Lady Skater pattern aaaaages ago but for some reason have never got round to making it. I keep meaning to make more jersey dresses though so maybe I'll have to dig it out soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ruth. I highly recommend giving the pattern a go. The skirt is satisfyingly swooshy yet not bulky. I love wearing all of these dresses.
DeleteThese are all absolutely lovely. I should give jersey a try again. I've only ever made the Coco dress which everyone raves about but I don't wear anymore as I find unflattering. I like the fit and flare style of this dress and yay for no fitting woes!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Catherine! I know what you mean about the Coco, with the wrong fabric it can definitely end up looking too pyjama-like. Funnily enough I used to wear my stripey green Coco dress loads but it's hardly been worn this year since making these Lady Skater dresses!
DeleteLoving your creations Jo! The green is my front runner, only because I'm loving green at the moment!
ReplyDeleteAfter this post I may give jersey another chance, sewing wise it always has been my least favourite material to work with. Wishing you a beautiful Sunday!
Anna xx
Thanks, Anna! I love green too, so much so that I discovered that the vast majority of my laundry load yesterday was green!
DeleteI definitely recommend giving jersey another shot, especially if you start with something nice and stable like a medium weight cotton jersey. Just remember to use a stretch or ball point needle!
I love skater style dresses and yours are no exception to that. Your dresses look amazing and you've got a brilliant fit going on there xx
ReplyDeleteThanks, VK! I'm still amazed at how few alterations I needed for a great fit. The pattern is nicely drafted for me :)
Delete