Wednesday, 17 May 2023

Adventures with rhubarb part 3: a failed loaf cake

Well this is embarrassing. After declaring in my last post that the only thing I was decent at baking was cake, here I am with a dud.


I suspected there was far too much fruit/liquid going into the cake batter as I was making it, but trusted the recipe anyway.

I should have trusted my gut. This is one soggy cake.


It reminded me of the time I baked this raspberry and apple cake (shockingly, 11 years ago?!) It was definitely fully baked, but sank into a stodgy heap whilst cooling due to excessive moisture from the fruit.

It's a shame as this is actually a nicely flavoured cake, I might even heat it up with custard to see if that saves it. If I were to bake it again I'd only add a couple of spoonfuls of the stewed rhubarb. Actually, it wouldn't be dissimilar from this almond and rhubarb cake I've made previously.

I won't bother writing out the recipe, which came from The Hummingbird Bakery's Cake Days book, as I feel the almond cake I linked to above is a better almond and rhubarb cake recipe.

Ah well. You live and learn. I'm moving onto rhubarb chutney next.

2 comments:

  1. That really does look soggy! Although I bet it tasted good with custard.
    I have this book and the picture with the recipe doesn't look soggy at all. Don't you hate it when recipes let you down?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is soggy! I found it odd that the recipe didn't specify a weight measurement for the amount of rhubarb, just the number of stalks, yet the weight and length of 4 or 5 stalks can vary. It was specific with everything else. I think the addition of butter to the stewing also dulled the rhubarb colour, not at all vibrant like the picture in the recipe book sadly.

      Delete