This cake came out the oven looking beautiful, but when I came back to it half an hour later the whole cake had deflated, the sides had almost buckled under themselves. This puzzled me as I had given it an extra 15-20 minutes baking time. It definitely wasn't under baked.
On a separate topic, I bought new summer shoes from Tesco today. Check out my classy combination of coral flowery shoes, turquoise elephant socks and dusky pink trousers.
Surely the weather will warm up again so I can wear these without socks? I'm not too bothered though, I do love my Topshop socks :)
Apple and raspberry cake
Recipe from Cakes Galore, p.47, byValerie Barrett
150g unsalted butter, chopped
200g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence (I use extract)
185g self-raising flour, sifted
185g vanilla-flavoured yoghurt (I used plain)
1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
100g raspberries
Sifted icing sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm deep, round cake tin. Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla essence. Add the flour, then the yoghurt, grated apple and raspberries and mix until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until golden and the centre of the cake springs back when lightly pressed (mine took an extra 15 minutes.) Leave in the tin for 30 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar before serving.


I love the combination of apple and raspberry. It's a shame the cake was soggy but at least it tasted good. Perhaps there was too much yoghurt? ps Love the socks!
ReplyDeleteMmmm, that looks like the perfect cake to devour with a cup of tea. I'm a big fan of teatime.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes find cooking with apples a bit tricky because depending on when they were picked, some can be really juicy. Either that or maybe your eggs were a little too big. I usually suffer from using non-uniform sized eggs (from my Mum's chickens) so I have to pour a little of the egg white down the sink.
Still... I would happily scoff down a slab of that cake if you invited me round for tea. :)
I like your cake and your elephant socks :D
ReplyDeletePretty shoes..I think they look fab with the elephant socks!
ReplyDeleteMagie x
Oh good grief, that looks amazing. I could eat a few slices of that right now. Love the little bit of Woods Ware too, perfectly complements! Also, how cute are your little shoes! Going to bookmark this recipe for future ref - thanks Jo!
ReplyDeleteNicki xx
Oh that looks lovely Jo! I love anything almond! Also love your new shoes! And socks!!
ReplyDeleteThere are so many fruity bakes about at the moment...they always taste so delicious and this looks like no exception!! P.s great shoe and sock combo! :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a delicious sounding combo of flavours! I don't usually love fruity bakes...always favouring rich more chocolatey things but the sound of this would convince me otherwise!
ReplyDelete