Thursday, 21 June 2012

Marshmallow jam surprise cake

I needed a quick cake to bake last week and preferably girly. You can't get much girlier than marshmallows, jam and pink sprinkles can you?


The cake was actually baked for group of men. Does anyone else take great delight out of making something ridiculously girly for manly men?


A teacup full of mini marshmallows is a wonderful sight.

I used to avoid eating marshmallows. I could eat a couple but wouldn't go out of my way to eat them as they made me feel a bit funny. Then my mum told me that when I was 3 I ate so many marshmallows after my Grandad's funeral that I was sick! Suddenly it all made sense. They don't bother me now.

This is pretty much a bog standard sponge cake with some strawberry jam yet somehow the mixture was quite stiff when I turned it into the tin to bake. It's possible that I accidently put in too much flour as I wasn't paying full attention (that'll teach me to do "easy baking" whilst watching Once Upon A Time) but I couldn't be bothered to tip it back out to alter. It still produced a tasty cake, even though the jam dollops sunk to the bottom. The marshmallows and icing were insanely sweet but I think that's part of the cake's charm.

Marshmallow jam surprise cake
Recipe from Cakes Galore by Valerie Barett

125g soft margarine (I used unsalted butter as I didn't have margarine
125g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
2 eggs, beaten
2-3 tablespoons black cherry jam or any red jam of your choice
100g large marshmallows (I used mini marshmallows as that's what I had in the cupboard but large ones would probably look prettier on the cake.)
175g icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Grease and base line a deep 18cm round cake tin. Put the margarine, sugar, flour and eggs into a bowl and beat together until smooth and mixed. Spread half the mixture into the base of the prepared tin. Dot with the jam. Spread the remaining cake mixture evenly over the top. Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown.

While the cake is cooking, cut the marshmallows in half horizontally, using wetted scissors. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Cool the cake for about 15 minutes, then arrange the marshmallows, cut-side down, over the top of the warm cake (the cake needs to be warm enough for the cut sides of the marshmallows to melt slightly so that they stick to the cake.) Leave the cake until quite cold. Mix together the icing sugar and enough water in a bowl to marke a thick pouring consistency. Pour the icing over the cake and allow to run slightly down the sides. Serve in slices.

14 comments:

  1. Definitely a pink girly cake to make - hope the men enjoyed it! I not a huge fan of marshmallows but I've just made my own and they tasted great. The marshmallows and icing do look sickly sweet - just how I like my cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake is so pretty in pink!

    Great to serve for a girly gathering and I wonder how do the men react seeing and eating this... They probably wouldn't care much :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't think they cared. They were just happy it was cake!

      Delete
  3. Ah I love the name for it! and marshmallow for the icing sounds amazing! I gave you an awesome blog content award over on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A girlie looking cake indeed..very pretty though. I would have never thought of marshmallow icing before..sounds good! I usually have my marshmallow's toasted over a fire :)
    Happy Baking!
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, it has been ages since I toasted marshmallows! At my old student flat we used to toast marshmallows on forks over our gas fork and if we were being really indulgent we'd sandwich them between chocolate digestives. It's so tasty! A bit like an American s'more I guess.

      Delete
  5. I love the girliness of this cake - mini marshmallows are so cute and very easy to keep eating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the cake/photography! what camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I use a Nikon D90 and do very very basic colour balance and light editing using Windows Photo Gallery (as I have no photoshop skills whatsoever!)

      Delete
  7. What a fab looking cake...definitely girly!!! I love the look of that marshmallowy icing on the top...an interesting idea...I might have to try it and the dollops of jam in the cake too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking as a man I'd love a piece of this cake. There's something so comforting about marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm this looks lovely! I'm a bit baffled as to how your cakes go so big? Like height wise. Whenever I bake a cake I always have to make two halves and sandwich them together because mine turn out so thin. But I use the same measurements as you. Hmm, you must have serious skill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Love all the icing dribbling down the side. I also enjoy making girly things for men - I love forcing the blokes in work to eat my cupcakes with elaborately piped buttercream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so goooddd, another thing to add to my list to bake haa :)

    bakingabook.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete