I'm a lean, mean, baking machine! It's my brother Andrew's birthday tomorrow so I decided to use the Hummingbird cupcake recipe to make a massive birthday cake. Admittedly it's not the smoothest icing job, but it still looks pretty spectacular. I like the rustic look and cannot wait to sample a piece tomorrow.
Although the recipe didn't come from the new Hummingbird book, I felt the title was appropriate. It really has been a cake day.
Andrew also requested a trifle (in our family you can't have a birthday without a trifle) so that's what I'm working on at the moment. I'm currently waiting for the jelly to set. It'll be tomorrow before I upload photos of that. I only needed one sponge for the trifle, so I added chopped apples and a bit of cinnamon to the rest of the batter to make some more buns similar to the ones I made last night. I like the dinky spotty cases.
Although I can't upload photos of the trifle tonight, I can upload a photo of the trifle I made at Christmas last year. It even had sponge fingers up the sides. What a beauty!
1.45AM update: TA-DAH! I thought I might as well stay up and finish the trifle. Perhaps not as impressive as the Christmas trifle, but it still looks good.
No comments:
Post a Comment