Sunday, 26 June 2011

My first whoopie pies!

Since discovering where I could buy marshmallow fluff, I've been itching to try my hand at whoopie pies. I liked the idea that they looked like a cross between a cake and a kiss. There are quite a few whoopie pie recipes in the Hummingbird Cake Days books, but I decided on the chocolate chip whoopie pies.


Here are my whoopie pies, or "bombs" as Mum likes to call them. They're massive! As you can tell I went for the more rustic, lumpy approach. I tend to only start baking around midnight so I generally can't be arsed faffing about with piping bags to make them look even and perfect. I really liked the flavour of the sponge, a bit like a sweet oven scone, and the yoghurt gives it a nice, smooth texture. If I was to make them again I don't think I'd use the marshmallow fluff icing as it is a bit sickly sweet. I would also make them smaller, maybe more like a kiss, just so they're a more manageable size to eat.



As much as I love my Hummingbird Bakery book for its fun recipes and glorious pictures, I have a few niggles: I always end up with far too much icing (I hate wastage), everything seems to need an at extra 10 minutes baking time in the oven, and the recipes are destroying my poor little food mixer with their thick batters!

.....Still a great book though :)

6 comments:

  1. I too have found exactly the same with the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook- there is always surplus icing (which, to a certain exten I regard as a Baker's bonus...). These look great-I've yet to try making a Whoopie Pie, they're on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm known for eating a few leftover spoonfuls of icing, but it really was too much for me to eat! I think the whoopie pies tasted better the next day, although I found it impossible to eat a whole one, it was a bit "death by whoopie pie"! Definitely going to make them a bit smaller next time.

    By the way thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look devine..anything with chocolate chips in is a winner for me!..i havnt made any whoopie pies yet cant believe that will have to get a move on with that!!...
    thank you for popping over to my little blog and leaving a comment , glad to know im not the only pine terminator!!!

    charl
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo - you have a delightful blog here. Love all your baking and I'm a big kat kitson fan too!!

    I haven't braved whoopie pies yet - moving up the "to do" list!!

    Delighted to be following you :-}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Charl and Brownieville Girl for following me! It's nice to know people like my girly baking blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the first Hummingbird book and I keep thinking I should get this one, just never get round to it! Those whoopie pies look amazing though and I have that Cath Kidston tea cup! x

    ReplyDelete