Thursday, 11 August 2011

Mmmmm chocolate cake

It was Uncle Johnny's birthday yesterday so being the lovely niece that I am, I made him a chocolate cake. This cake always gets compliments. One of my uni friends even said she would marry the cake if it was a man (a bit strange, but still a compliment!) It was the first cake to sell out at the bake sale when my year was raising money for our degree show catalogue. I came across the recipe on the Supercook website years ago. I had bought some bog standard white bun cases and on the packaging it said "why don't you visit our website for yummy recipes...." so I did. (I'll include the recipe at the bottom of the post.) Here is the cake in action.

Uncle Johnny cutting his cake.

Aunty Janice always puts on an impressive spread: homemade bread, lemon meringue pie, rock buns and a variety of other tasty buns.

And last but not least, the other ebay purchase I made not long after the Woods Ware haul. It's a Royal Winton Grimwades cake plate and matches my three tier cake stand which you can find in my custard cream cupcakes post. I am delighted with it. I'm hoping to have a proper post of it adorned with baked goods fairly soon. Royal Winton is the King of Crockery for me. Some girls lust after expensive Gucci handbags, I lust after Royal Winton Grimwades tea sets.

I've been a bit naughty and made another ebay purchase this week. Why is it I can go for months spending next to nothing other than diesel for the car and then suddenly buy loads of crockery and clothes? (That's another story.)

"Wicked chocolate fudge cake" from Supercook website. (No idea if it's still on there)

6oz self-raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
5 oz sugar
2 medium size eggs
2 tbsp golden syrup
1/4 pint sunflower oil
1/4 pint milk

For the icing
6oz icing sugar
3oz softened butter
2 tbsp cocoa
enough milk to make the icing smooth and spreadable

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add the sugar and mix thoroughly. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add all the liquids. Mix together until smooth. Pour into two greased/lined cake tins and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for approx. 30 minutes or until they spring back to touch. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, sandwich together with the icing and decorate as desired. I went for the rustic hundreds and thousands effect and put a sneaky layer of raspberry jam in between the sponges.

The only extra thing I would note is that I'm fairly generous with my tablespoon measures. What can I say, I like a bit of cocoa and syrup!

5 comments:

  1. that looks fit!!!.honestly that looks gorgeous like a proper chocolate cake should look all gooey and spongey looking at the same time!!..
    love the little cake stand so pretty..
    i know what you mean about ebay i seem to gone a little crazy at the minute!!!
    charl
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally the same - if you want to offer me an exciting shopping trip take me to a homewares store!

    Love the photo of your uncle cutting his birthday cake - that single photo encapsulates, for me, what baking's all about - pleasing the people you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely looks like a wicked chocolate cake to me! Happy birthday to your uncle - you're definitely a great niece :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look absolutely nice! You have a nice and lovely blog! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely see why this cake is a hit! It looks so rich and irresistible :)

    ReplyDelete