I had been eyeing up this recipe in the Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days book for a while and I finally got round to making them a few days ago.
The icing is absolutely delicous, although I didn't pipe it particularly well. I would quite happily and greedily eat an entire bucket of this icing. It's like a Terry's Chocolate Orange in liquid form. Can't get much better really.
However I wasn't bowled over by the cupcake itself. They came out the oven beautifully risen but when I came back to them a few minutes later they had sunk. Not in an undercooked way, they were definitely cooked, but they went flat and quite dense. The icing outshone the sponge which I found just a bit too heavy in texture although the flavour was good. This has happened to me before with Hummingbird cupcake recipes. Am I alone with this? Are Hummingbird Bakery cupcakes maybe denser and milkier in texture (more like a muffin) or have I baked them incorrectly? Despite my concerns my Dad absolutely loved them. In fact he thought they were the best cupcakes ever so it's probably just personal preference.
Chocolate orange cupcakes
Recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days cookbook
For the sponge:
70g (2 1/2oz) unsalted butter
70g (2 1/2oz) unsalted butter
210g (7 1/2oz) caster sugar
105g (3 1/2oz) soft light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence (I used extract)
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
255g (9oz) plain flour
50g (1 3/4oz) cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
240ml (8 1/2 fl oz) whole milk
For the icing/frosting:
600g (1lb 5oz) icing sugar
100g (3 1/2oz) unsalted butter, softened
250g (9oz) full fat cream cheese
60g (2oz) cocoa powder
3 tsp finely grated orange zest
Candied orange peel, thinly sliced to decorate (I used edible glitter and hearts instead)
Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5 and fill a muffin tin with muffin cases. Cream together the butter and both types of sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time on a medium speed, followed by the vanilla essence and orange zest. Sift together the remaining ingredients, then add to the creamed mixture in three batches with the milk, alternating between each and mixing on a low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition, and once everything has been incorporated, raise the speed to medium and continue beating until the batter is well mixed and smooth. Divide the mixture between the paper cases, filling each up to two-thirds full. Place in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the sponges spring back when gently pressed. Allow to cool for a short while in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
To make the frosting, whisk the icing sugar with the butter on a low speed (or by hand otherwise it's seriously messy!) until crumbly in texture and no large lumps of butter remain. Add the cream cheese and cocoa powder and continue to mix on a medium speed until the frosting is smooth and light. Add the orange zest and stir in by hand. Smooth the icing on by palette knife or pipe with a star nozzle.
Ahh my favourite flavour combo! I'm with you on the cupcake front - the batter's always very liquid and made up of a lot of a milk, which I think makes it collapse a bit. My absolute favourite tip-top go-to recipe for chocolate cupcakes which never lets me down is this one. The icing looks lovely!
ReplyDeleteI shall bookmark that recipe for future use. Thanks!
DeleteOh Jo your photos are sooo stunning! Do you have a fancy camera? I love your china as you know, but your cakes are so pretty too! That made me laugh about the spatula thing! Sorry - I only have 3, so hardly a collection (two from asda, one free with a food mag!) I don't even use them much as I don't bake a lot at his house!
ReplyDeleteOOh yes Whittards hot choc - have you tried the mint one? I went in there the other day and wanted to buy more but I have 3 tubs already, although I LOVE their teas too, like the ones you can make into ice teas - love to sample them when I go! xx
Thank you! I do have quite a fancy DSLR camera. I needed a good camera for my final year as uni because photography was an important part of my work so I got a Nikon D90 for my 21st. I have more than got my moneys worth out of it, I use it all the time and absolutely love it!
DeleteI haven't tried the mint hot choc, I'm not a mint chocolate fan I'm afraid. I haven't tried their ice teas yet but have sampled quite a few of their other teas. I tried a very smoky one a few years ago called Russian Caravan which was quite strange!
Your cupcakes are lovely. Chocolate and orange sounds like a lovely combination.
ReplyDeleteThe icing here sounds divine: cream cheese, chocolate and orange sounds incredible! Love chocolate and orange together.
ReplyDeleteDelicious! I think I've said before my one attempted at Hummingbird cupcakes ended in disaster and the main thing I noticed was how runny and milky the recipe was. Your piping is gorgeous - what nozzle do you use and how do you do it?
ReplyDeleteI think I used one of my big star nozzles from Lakeland piping set. It's quite similar to my Wilton 2D. For the rose effect I pipe from the centre outwards.
DeleteYour cupcakes are gorgeous!! I don't know what you mean when you say you didn't pipe it particularly well - it looks amazing to me!! I can't remember now what happened with mine as I made this recipe years ago pre blog so I don't have a reference.
ReplyDeleteThe ones I've chosen to show were the best piped. The rest went a bit funny due to air bubbles in my piping bag (oops!)
DeleteThese look lovely... I love the china too! Chocolate and Orange is a great combination! :-)
ReplyDeleteThey look absolutely delicious! I must say I have never had that problem with Hummingbird recipes! I love them! xxx
ReplyDeleteI always have this problem with hummingbird cupcakes! Wonderful flavour combo, your icing looks wonderful too! xx
ReplyDeleteI do LOVE that flavour combination. Heck, I could eat Choc Oranges for breakfast each day if I hadn't just bulk ordered porridge from Tesco (because that is the only reason I don't have chocolate for breakfast!!). I too have mixed results with Hummingbird Bakery cupcakes- they are either super or a little disappointing...
ReplyDeleteI made these once too, they were lovely! The icing especially, yum.
ReplyDelete