Sunday, 5 February 2012

Raspberry and white chocolate blondies Take 2 and oaty biscuits

Determined to find the "perfect" blondie, I surfed the web for another recipe. This recipe from BBC Good Food popped up and although the reviews were quite hit and miss I gave it a go.


They may not be as photogenic as the last blondies, but flavour-wise I definitely preferred these. I loved the golden, crumbly crust and the melt-in-the-mouth almost fudgy inside with gooey chocolate chunks and juicy raspberries. I've talked you into making these haven't I? The only thing to note is that I didn't have the correct size tin so I had to use a slightly smaller one. I still put it in at the same temperature but covered the top of the tray with baking parchment for the last 10 minutes. I also had enough left over batter to fill 4 little bun cases.


I think browning the butter helped with the fudgy flavour, although it did cause me to have a near freak out as I thought I had burnt rather than browned it as there were loads of funny bits in it. I ended up melting more butter, which I didn't need in the end, so I decided to make oaty biscuits with it.

I had forgotten how tasty these syrupy oat biscuits were. We used to make these a lot with Mum when we were little as the recipe is very easy. It's the perfect type of homemade biscuit to have in the tin for when visitors come past. Unfortunately by the time I had finished making these it was late and I had lost all energy to take a good photograph. No attempt to hide the biscuits with the slightly burnt edges or remove the crumb in the foreground!

Oat Shortie Biscuits
Recipe from Mum's little baking book

50g (2oz) lard
50g (2oz) marg
100g (4oz) sugar (I used caster)
1 tsp syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp boiling water
100g (4oz) self-raising flour
100g (4oz) porrage oats

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Since I already had roughly 4oz of melted butter I didn't bother with the lard. I then added the sugar and stirred in the syrup, soda and boiling water. Do not bring to the boil. Add the oats and flour and mix well. Pack together in in teaspoonfuls (or bigger if you want larger biscuits) and place on the tray. I think I had around 8 on a tray, and made roughly 20 biscuits in total. I also added more syrup to the mixture as it wasn't sticking together very well. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.

16 comments:

  1. Biscuits look good and those bloodies look amazing. It's been a while since I made some nice fudgy brownies or blondies for that matter! Brown butter must be in vogue at the moment as I am seeing it in all sorts of recipes. It does give a lovely flavour to things though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made blondies today as well, wish I'd thought of adding raspberries! Always find it so difficult to find a good blondie recipe so will have to give this one a go in the future. The oat biscuits look just like something I'd love - very addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered what the fuss is with blondies, yours look amazing. I would definitely love a slice please. Also love the oaty biscuits, perfect with a cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would probably pick a blondie over a brownie, but then again I have a raging sweet tooth. If you absolutely love white chocolate then it's definitely worth trying.

      Delete
  4. They both look lovely - I am reading your site enjoying a cuppa, and one (or two) of those oaty biccies would really hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're all very welcome to come by for oaty biscuits or slices of blondie (or both!) with a cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, you certainly have talked me into making these- fudgey white chocolate brownies hit many a spot!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. droool !!!.. i love an oaty biscuit i find them so much more moreish than a chocolate one..gorgeous..not good for my diet this blog you know!!
    charl
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you managed to find a tastier recipe...BBC GoodFood is always good! It's a shame sometimes you can't always get the look and taste in one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love blondies, look delicious! of course I love the box that you put the blondies (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those both look delicious! I have a serious cookie craving now..must whip up a batch myself :) Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jo, I've awarded you a Liebster Blog Award! Check it out here and pass it on... http://themorethanoccasionalbaker.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. those biscuits look and sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Jo, I have fallen in love with your blog! And these blondies! They look absolutely wonderful and I know my daughter would love them! I hope you visit soon! Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooft!! These look delicious and photogenic. Your images are great. I've never really been able to photograph cakes well xx

    ReplyDelete